Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuang_gw

S. Purpurea potted to high?

kuang
16 years ago

I have recently repotted my S Purpurea ,that i bought last year, from the "lows cube of death" into a pot. I thought it went really well and it has been in the new pot for a little over a month now and seems happy. However, after reading the forums here and looking at the pictures posted I am wondering if I made a mistake and potted the plant to high. The reason for this is that the pitchers are lying down instead of standing up like most of the pitchers of the purpurea I've seen on the pictures posted. I can also see the growing crown on my plant. The "spikes" growing off the crown are nice deep red but I'm concerned that when the summer hits it might become burned or dry out and kill the plant. I've spent lots of time reading through the forums here and know the basics for CPs, and have learned lots about plants in general through a few years working as a landscaper, but still have a lot to learn any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• icenine
    16 years ago

Actually, i think you may be all set. Seeing the growing crown is good, necessary, in fact. And S. Purpurea pitchers do lie on the ground, as compared to the "trumpet pitchers" such as S. Minor, or S. Flava. They lay down so they can collect rain water, since they dont make a whole lot of digestive enzymes like the others. They need bacteria to digest the bugs for them. I think you're fine, dont worry.

• don555
    16 years ago

I agree with icenine. S.purpurea pitchers are especially likely to kind of lie down when the plant is young:
    {{gwi:549169}}

They tend to get more upright as the plant gets older:
    {{gwi:549170}}

There is another pitcher plant, S.psittacina, that wants to grow along the ground much more than S.purpurea, so this is also a possibility unless you are sure you have purpurea:
    {{gwi:549171}}

• kuang
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses and pics they put my mind at ease. I've keept CPs before but they have died do to one mistake or another.

I am positive I have a S. Purpurea =)

{{gwi:549172}}
    {{gwi:549173}}
    Thats the pic of the crown.
    Thanks again for all your help.

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

kuang: That is without a doubt a purp and it is potted just right.
    The only thing you need to avoid is really hot, direct sun so they don't burn

Don555:I don't think that Sarracenia is pure Psittacina.
    The little one next to it is, but the large looks more like scarlet bell hybrid.
    (psittacina x leucophylla).Anyway, that Scarlet Bell is humongous!How long have
    you had it?

Good Luck,
    Adrian

• kuang
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought they liked full sun . . . If not I'll move it to another area close by that will block the afternoon sun.
    Thank you for all of the help.

• don555
    16 years ago

Adrian, Good eye! You are correct, the big one is in fact a hybrid, and it is the little one beside it that is S. psittacina. My bad. The big one I've had a few years now, but I bought it as an almost-mature plant from a garden centre. The true psittacina I started from seed about 3 or 4 years ago from seed I got from the International Carnivorous Plant Society seed bank.
    -Don

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Whatever it is in the last picture is a magnificent specimen!

• agentrdy
    16 years ago

Unless you have 110 degree heat, S. purpurea is absolutely fine to leave out in full sun, all day, every day. They have a much higher light requirement than other CPs, and the fact they keep a higher volume of water in their pitchers compared to other Sarracenia means they don't change temperatures as fast--the plant will take longer to heat up because the water in the plant will absorb most of the heat.

It's also buried just fine. Only worry about the depth if (a) you can't see the crown at all because it's completely buried, in which case you should worry about rot, or (b) the crown is potted so high you can see more than half the rhizome and/or the roots. Just don't let any roots get exposed or they'll easily dry.

Excellent coloration, too--nice deep red--it proves that your lighting is great, wherever you have the plant.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

The more media you have, in any combination of deep and wide, the better. More moisture and temperature stability is achieved that way.

• kuang
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just giving an update. My Purpurea Is doing well. It has finally decided winter is over and is in the process of growing a new pitcher and to my delight has started to put up a flower bud =) just wanted to say thank you to everyone again for your help.