Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabemasu88

I need help with Cephalotus follicularis and Heliamphora minor...

tabemasu88
13 years ago

Hello,

I am interested into those plants:

- Cephalotus follicularis

- Heliamphora minor

Are they hard to handle for newbies? I have no experience

I heard they don't need dormancy. Is that mean I don't have to put them in a cold area like the fridge? just near the windowsill will be fine? reduce light and maybe around 18 degee (C) at night?

Also, can i put them out of the terrarium like open space? Will they get dry up quickly?

If you can give me a good setup, that would be great.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• tabemasu88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ah I actually live in Canada, will that be easy to house them in the Toronto area?

• eou812
    13 years ago

No i absolutley do not recomend those for beginners i would suggest growing a Drosera capensis or a Venus flytrap ok? I know they look cool and all that i have both myself but i would not grow them untill you have grown at least one Drosera (sundew) one Nepenthes (tropical pitcher plant) one venuf flytrap and one Sarracenia (north American pitcher plant) grow these plants at least one each for one year and if you succsefully grow them then i would take it a step further into Cephalotus then the first or second sign of growh on the Cephalotus then i would try the HARDEST CARNIVOROUS PLANT THE HELIAMPHORA ok you might listen to me or you might not but i am trying to help you know what you are doing and not waist $50.00 just so it will die so i hope this helps.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    13 years ago

if you are just windowsill growing.. i would stay away from the heli. They need a good amount of humidity.

The ceph on the other hand might work for you. Search the forums for other experiences people have. I recently saw a nicely grown plant that was just the potted plant in an open top jar/container of some sort. This kept the humidity up decently.

• tabemasu88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ah...sound tough...
    um...for the venus fly trap and sundrew,
    i read that they don't need much water or they will rot the root system

but how come i see ppl on the youtube, and read about it on the internet that they put them on a tray of water

i know they do this cuz they put them in a sunny day outside with lots of air and sun, so when water evaporate, they get higher humidity

but won't they soil soak up the water until the soil can't hold?
    and the soil become wet wet and will rot the root system right?

• tabemasu88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cuz i live in canada
    at summer time, sometimes it get up to 30 to 35 C

if i consider sundrew and fly trap, do i put the fly trap and sundrew under the sun outside in the summer with rain water or distilled water?

won't the water overheat and killed them?
    cuz the sun produced heat and the ground will get heat up and eventually the water will become hot, won't it?

also, If i use a deep container put peat moss at the bottom and LFS on top of the peat moss and soak it with distilled water

and put the plants on top, will that be okie for them?
    like a deep deep (2 or 3 feet deep) container, at the bottom is very wet peat moss and LFS and i just put the pots on top of the LFS and put the deep deep deep container under the sun

will that be better to grow them?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery