Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnivorousplants

Reducing Heat

carnivorousplants
16 years ago

Hi,

I don't know if this might sound like a retarded question to yall but I need to ask

it.These days, we've been getting a lot of hot sun.Since my some of my plants are

in a terrarium it is getting really overheated and since I'm at school there's nothing

I can do about.I've tried poking holes in it but it gets just as hot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian

Comments (10)

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

What plants? Is the terrarium in the sun? If so, I hope there is not top on it-that wouldn't be good. We probably need more info about where you are are and the types of plants and the conditions.

• all_things_green
    16 years ago

I would suggest moving your terrarium away from all direct sun light. Use cfl lights, or standard 40w florescent fixtures for lighting. I am using two 105w broad spectrum cfl's with my setup, and they keep my temps just right. In direct sun a tank can get way overheated, and roast your plants!

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,
    that would be a great idea all things green but since I'm only 10 there's no way
    I could afford those lights.When I saw them at the store they were pretty expe-
    nsive.The only lights I have are from the aerogrow that my grandparents got
    me for Christmas.BTW, the plants I have in the terrarium are: N. Mira, N. Sanguinea blood sd

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about my previous post, I posted it accidentally.

• all_things_green
    16 years ago

I apologize Adrian, I had no idea. But really with just two plants you could get by with one light. I bought both my light setups from Lowe's for $43.84. Each unit is nothing more then a brooder heat reflector @$11.94, and a spiral twist compact florecent light (cfl) @$9.98. So each lighting unit cost $21.92. Guess you could save up on your allowance money.:)
    Good luck

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

40 watt shop lights with twin tube mounts cost only around 8 dollars each from hardware stores... I have two with a Christmas tree light timer that costs a total of 24 dollars and gives 12000 lumens of light with negligible energy bill costs. You can also use a charcoal colored shade screen that costs a few dollars and cut a few holes in it. That will allow partial light through while cutting some of the heat.

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice, but I rather spend my money CP's and Cacti.
    The herbs in my aerogrow are at the end of their life cycle, so I could use
    those lights.BTW, the herbs are really big, so if you want any of these I could
    send you some.Here are the herbs:
    Mint
    Purple Basil
    Italian Basil
    Chives
    Dill

Thanks,
    Adrian

• all_things_green
    16 years ago

Cool! I just checked out the aerogrow website, and thats a neat looking setup they have there! Those lights are broad spectrum cfl's, and should work very well for you! :)
    Good luck with your CP's!

• don555
    16 years ago

You've got to either get those plants out of direct sunlight or remove the top from the terrarium! Years ago, I had a nice collection of flytraps that I'd gradually propogated from a single bulb, then I managed to kill them all in just a few hours by putting the terrarium outside in the hot June sun. Really, went from healthy green to totally black in about 3 hours.

I've switched to growing most of my plants in aquariums - 5 gallon or 10 gallon, but you could get them smaller or bigger as you need. The high sides of the aquarium keep the moisture levels up, but don't trap heat like a terrarium. And if you buy just an aquarium (ie not an aquarium kit that includes pumps etc), then you can pick one up for $10 or so. Alternatively, if your aquarium is plastic, you can cut off more of the top to make a MUCH larger hole. If you don't want to do either of those options, just leave the top off (assuming it is removable) anytime there is a possibility your plants could be in direct sun.

-Don

• don555
    16 years ago

Adrian, when I said above that you could cut a plastic terrarium to make a much larger hole, I mean MUCH larger. Here's a pic of some flytraps I grew for about 10 years in a terrarium with much of the lid cut off. (This winter I moved these to a 5 gallon aquarium). Anyway, you can see that I cut off almost the entire top of the terrarium. Probably don't have to go quite this extreme, but it worked.
    {{gwi:549375}}

Sponsored