Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
runoff pH/ppm

Posted by shockingelk (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 23:12

Last week, I received my first CPs, 7 Saccarina and a VFT.

The rhizomes/roots were placed in a 50/50 mix of milled sphagnum peat and sand wetted with 40 ppm R/O water, the trey method.

Today, I tested the pH of the water they are sitting in and it's approximately 7.0 (I use drops, so accurate within around .25 points).

I tested run-off water that had just passed through, it also was about 7.

Also curiously, the water which they'd been sitting in a week tested at 60 ppm, the runoff from re-drenching them tonight was 140-160 ppm.

Could it be possible my peat was treated so as to neutralize its pH? Should I adjust the pH of the water they're sitting in? Repot in something else?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: runoff pH/ppm

Oh boy, did you buy a store brand bag of peat moss? Some may not be even sphagnum moss at all, just processed humus. Or if it is sphagnum peat moss, some have additives like wetting agent or fertilizer added to it. In both case, that is deadly to CP.

Did you read the bag of peat moss if what you are using has additives? Peat moss for CP should not contain fertilizer or wetting additives at all. It must be pure sphagnum peat moss.

I strongly recommend you repot them quickly and make sure you read the bales of peat moss that it doesn't contains additives, and make sure it says sphagnum peat moss and nothing else.

o

I purchased the bale last season from an independent nursery that mostly distributes wholesale plants.

It appears to not be --100%-- sphagnum as there are some twigs in it. But the package does say "sphagnum" peat. I would think it would also advertise on the label "pH balanced" or "with wetting agents" if that was the case. Then again, I can't explain why the runnoff is pH neutral if the medium is significantly acidic.

Since I potted the plants last Thursday, there is new growth on one of the two large (unidentified) rhizomes and the Sarracenia rubra alabamensis ... but nothing else.

I'll have time to repot them Friday ...

o

I would buy LFS, the long fibered sphagnum, for $4, at Home Depot or Lowes. Can't go wrong there.

o

Mine tests at very acidic, very low ppm, and very low nitrites and nitrates. I bought my moss and perlite at Sarracenia Northwest and just used a generic aquarium test kit for fresh water.

I would suspect that high pH sphagnum is either treated or not true sphagnum. Anything in small bags is sually fertilized. The big, square, 2X2 bales of pure sphagnum in plastic wrap are usually untreated. Also, check your sand. If it is not silica sand, it might harm your plants too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here