Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehaus_gw

Can anyone identify this butterwort?

treehaus
17 years ago

I barely know the first thing about Pinguicula, and as this is my first (and came with no identifying information), I have not a clue what it is. Anyone know? It's a small plant in a small pot (3.5"). Unfortunately it's not necessarily clear how small it is from looking at this picture (sorry!). Any suggests would be very helpful! Thanks!!

I was also wondering if anyone has tips on propagation from offsets, since this one has three small small plants developing beneath its outer leaves.

{{gwi:549481}}

Comments (11)

• jonocross
    17 years ago

If I had a nickel for every time I couldn't ID a ping... well I'd have a couple bucks probably. This may sound horrible, but pings all look alike to me. Where did you get it? That may help discover it's identity.

(I've got one I still can't figure out and I've had it for better than 6 months. I've been playing with it's growing conditions over time hopeing to figure out what it likes and doesn't like in an effort to narrow it down LOL. My next ping will have a name tag.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

LOL! I hear ya! My sentiments exactly. I think it's usualy safe to say that it is related to a moranensis. Wait until it flowers and then it wil be easier to identify. Leaves aren't enough. Seems to be proficient at carnivorosity!

• treehaus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your comments. Now that I have one, the fact that I have never been able to grasp what distinguishes one Pinguicula from another has become personal!

I bought this one at an independently owned nursery. I could contact them and find out who ordered it. The person on hand at the time was not very knowledgeable about the plant, but clearly had done a good job keeping it happy, so I did ask her how she had been watering it, etc.

It seems that I will just have to shuffle the plant around and tweak its growing conditions in an effort to narrow down what it prefers.

Anyone have any general recommendations? It seems that the differences between temperate and tropical Pings can be significant in some cases. Are there any assumptions I can make about light levels, humidity, watering, etc? I thought that it would like being under glass, but then I read that it is unnecessary and promotes the growth of mold rather than humidity. Currently, it is in the plastic pot you see in the picture, but sits inside a wide, clean glass container that rises about 2 or 3 inches above the top of the plant. There is no standing water or plant material of any kind in the glass, and it is open on top. Is this an unnecessary, or even bad idea?

Also, has anyone ever cultivated Pings from offsets? This one has some (you can sort-of see them in the picture). I was thinking of removing them to separate pots. Or, do they grow well as a cluster?

Any recommendations are very much appreciated!

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I have several Mexican buterworts and only a few temperate pings. The Mexican butterworts seem to be easier to cultivate and propogate than our N.A. butterworts. I have most of mine right at window sills and alow them to experience the change of seasons. They are not picky about soil media and will redden if one places fluorescent lighting a few inches above them.

{{gwi:549483}}

{{gwi:549485}}

{{gwi:549487}}

• lindaflower
    17 years ago

Nice tiered set up, Pet. Where did you get that idea? Do they all seem to get enough light?

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Did I borrow that one from you? Anyhoo, they could use more light than they are getting. But then again, they have been there all winter long, so they didn't get a whole lot of photoperiod. They are like SO green!

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

That is definitely Pinguicula agnata, a Mexican butterwort. They acquire a reddish almost pink color in their leaves when exposed to bright light. Is that your plant? Nice photo.

• treehaus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the ID! I appreciate it. It will turn pink in bright sun?

Out of curiosity, what tells you it's Pinguicula agnata? Is it the compactness of the rosette? I do not know anything really about Pinguicula, but the closed rosette is one thing that, from my unenlightened perspective has stuck out to me as distinguishing this Ping. from a lot of the images I have seen of other species.

How much light should it be exposed to in order for it to turn pink?

Thank you for your help.

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

Yes, it is because of the compact rosette and the shape of the leaves that is diamond shape, the first time I have seen this particular species was near Mexico City.

Me, my cousin, and uncle were on our way to Mexico City, taking a freeway called Taluca up in the mountains. When we stopped to rest beside a cliff, I was surprised to see Pinguicula agnata growing up the cliff next to small barrel cactus and cactus pears. I recognized them by their white flowers as butterworts, with a yellow center and somewhat purple on the rims of the petals.

I didnÂt expect to see carnivorous plants growing next to what I considered to be desert plants but then again the area is considered to be semi-tropical. The ones that had a reddish coloring and some seemed to have an orangish ting were the ones in direct sunlight and the soil they were growing on seemed to be somewhat dry but these plants were look they were growing just fine. I do remember that the air was moist and somewhat cool late in the morning.

I picked a couple of them that were growing low and took them home with me, I tried recreating by putting them in a terrarium but eventually lost these plants. Here in the US, I got my hand on some agnates and again tried to recreate the way they grew and placed them under some bright lights to bring out the beautiful red ting, I lost them when they rotted inside the terrarium and I think it was due to lack air circulation. I have lost many CP due to my erroneous idea they can grow best in terrarium.

I think the trick was that up in those mountains the air was quite cool and moist, so can tolerate the bright sun. My plan is this time I will grow them under bright light and out open in the air like the rest of my plants. Hopefully I will be lucky this time. But 1st I have to get my hands on some more P. agnata.

The other species I have seen in Mexico is P. moranensis and another type I havenÂt been able to find reference at all. Sometimes I wonder if I may have stumbled onto a new unidentified species. If it is a new species, IÂll probably call it Pinguicula chuckyii. ;-)

• treehaus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, that is really interesting. Great story. So I suppose I should continue to leave my plant out in the open, and expose it to bright sunlight if I want that pink tinge to come through. I will keep these semi-cool, desert conditions in mind as I try to come up with the best environment for my P. agnata.

Thanks!!

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

I suggest that if itÂs growing well where you have it. Keep it that way! Especially if you only have one!

IÂve already killed my agnatas and a pair of morenansis trying to get that beautiful red ting I saw on plants growing in the wild. My plan is to get some extra plants, either through leaf cutting or seeds and experiment on them, that way I donÂt end up wiping the entire collections again. So if you have an extra one, try experimenting on it.

I know it has to do something about the environment which IÂve had tried to duplicate, cool and moist. But till now have failed. I will keep trying.

Happy growing!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA