Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockarollaman

terrarium light

rockarollaman
10 years ago

Hi folks, Just another newbie seeking info. Looked around but don't find this one. I ditched my 55g reef aquarium and want to do cp's in it now. My question is this. .. Am I right in thinking that my expensive led reef light should be just fine for plants? After all, it did provide sunlight for corals through water. ..Any opinion very welcome. Thanks! (Intend VFT, purple pitchers, and sundews)

Comments (17)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

VFTs and American pitcher plants should not be grown in terrariums. Actually, NO CP should be grown in them. It is not necessary.

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops. Ignore this. ..

This post was edited by rockarollaman on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 13:13

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tommyr for your opinion. Noted. There's enough talk on here of people apparently doing exactly that. Any constructive advice forthcoming. ..? Any tips that will aid me appreciated greatly. Any of you folks that experimented with cp's in terrariums with delightful tales, or tales of caution. ..? Btw-What about the light.?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

You could grow Tropical Sundews and Butterworts indoors but not Sarracenia or VFTs. They won't last long and have to have winter dormancy.

There is no need to grow CPs in a terrarium.

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So no cp's in a terrarium. How about the light I'm wanting to use. That was the original purpose behind my post. It is a reef capable led with actinic lights as well for Moonlight. They did provide sunlight through water, and without the heat.

• Drosera84
    10 years ago

What with all these comments about, âÂÂNo CP will grow in terrariumâÂÂ? Some CP can only grow in terrarium.
    Anyways, I own 2 terrariums and a planted tank myself. Your lights will more than enough for Sundews/Drosera and VFT (Worlds of caution, VFT will need to go in dormancy every year). Your light will also be enough for Sarracenia/American pitcher plant. But it will need a lot of space for it to grow. My 4 years old Sarracenia purpurea is already have a 8 in radius. I think it is not piratical to grow it in a terrarium. Also, it too will need dormancy. Save your tank space for something else. There are other excellent choices of CP to grow in terrarium under your coral light: other Drosera, some Pinguicula, Cephalotus follicularis, and specially Heliamphora (it can only grow in terrarium)
    Welcome to the world of CP
    Happy growing!!
    PS: you will also need a fan with timer. It is a must have

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey! Drosera84--Thanks! Finally something positive-and good advice to boot! Firstly, thanks about the light. Good to know. My idea was for my 7 yr old boy but sounds like bad idea. Tank size may not be a problem at first. 48Wx12Dx22H. Wonder if I should keep the dormancy plants in pots pushed into the dirt so I can take them out and store in garage for winter. .. I think you're right about the need for a fan. Got a fogger in there but moisture stays low and doesn't spread much. If all doesn't work out at least you gave me good ideas for what will work. Thanks a bunch!

• Drosera84
    10 years ago

The fan is for air circulate to prevent mold, the number one enemy for any terrarium grower.
    My first terrarium, I grow all of my plant as a planted tank, all of them in one media. It works well at first but I ran into many problems as time past:
    1) Mold cans spread very fast if all your plants are in one media
    2) One plant get sick the rest will follow
    3) Different plant will need soil mix and different soil moisture
    4) Green algae
    I think it will best if you can grow them in small containers. You will have better control. Also, you can remove the plants from the terrarium for the closer look with your son. Due to the fact that some of these plants are very tiny
    There is a really good book that talks about growing CP. It is call âÂÂThe Savage GardenâÂÂ

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

I grow various types of Drosera in a 30 gallon terrarium, you most certainly can grow them in a tank and I would recommend it if you live in an area as hot as it gets here during the summer time. Who says you can't dormant CPs in a tank? I do it every year with my Capillaris x Intermedia and Filiformis since those don't do well outside for me. I have a regia, graomogolensis, capensis, filiformis, binataa, even an Ivan's Paddle, all under artificial lighting. I do agree that you should grow VFTs and sarrs outside though. But not cephalotus and nepenthes, if you decide to try those.

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. Darned good tips! Warm Thanks to all commenters. Wintering plants inside terrarium-will that work without dark and cold if you have others in the tank as well?

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops again

This post was edited by rockarollaman on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 13:23

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

I mix subtropicals, tropical and twmperate and the ones that go dormant respond to the simple reduction of light period required for winter time.

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a mix. That's sounds very cool indeed. Got any pictures on here? How big is that enclosure?

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again

This post was edited by rockarollaman on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 14:21

• rockarollaman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those interested, an aquarium reef light (led) does indeed seem to do well for terrariums. My sarecenias have grown over 4 inches in their first month! One of my 2 vft has already formed traps and starting to open. My droseras, well still alive anyways...So thrilled so far

• mistirose
    9 years ago

I have used the CFL bulbs that are the equivalent to 10watts in a shop light and they loved it. Cheap and easy. I will never grow a CP of any sort in a terrarium. I have the ebook from www.cobraplant.com and it is the best source of accurate CP info I have found on the web. It was worth every penny. I hope this helped! Good Luck!

• MarysLamb
    9 years ago

I used to do terrariums, but everything always out grew it. I also just used cheap CFL bulbs. The 6500 kelvin type.

I'm guessing your reef light is over 10k kelvin, which is more than enough light.

Sponsored