Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunterkiller03

What looks like S. alabamensis being sold in Home Depot in AZ

hunterkiller03
13 years ago

After sulking by the destruction of most of my Sarracenias and some of my VFTs. I went to Home Depot today to by new sod for my evaporative cooler, decided to check the nursery section too see what they had for CPs today. I was expecting much and doubt I would find anything that would help me rebuild my lost Sarracenias.

I saw they were selling sarracenias and expected they were probably Judith Hindle or Scarlet Belle. But to my surprise, when I examined the pitchers, depite that they were crushed or folded over because the damn cups were too small for it. I was able to see what look like to be Sarracenia alabamensis pitcher plants because of the shape of the hood and the yellowish-copper color they acquire, and noticeably pubescent pitchers. I know the difference between rubras and alabamensis sisnce I used to have all three variety of rubra (no thanks to these damnable rats) and the two alabamensis. I am in the camp that S. alabamensis look too different from the other rubras, therefore not s subspecies of the rubras. Likewise I consider the ssp wherryii to be a subspecies of alabamenis simply because it look more similar to alabamensis then to the rubras.

Since the plant being sold at lows under the Gubler nursery is small, it could most likely be S alabamensis ssp. wherryii and not the S. alabamensis ssp alabamensis, which is a rare plant, but who know. Both alabamensis have pubescent pitcher, with golden or copperish color on top of the pitchers with red veins inside the throat. The alabamensis are tallvery tall and robust with hood that's wider then it is long while the Wherryiis are shorter narrower pitchers with the hoods that are longer then it is wide.

Either way, this is a chance for people in the Maricopa are to by this rare species. I don't know if they sell these plants in other states but wouldn't hurt to look at home Depot. Plants are crushed or folded but with some loving care they should make a comeback.

Comments (2)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

My local Home Depot sucks when it comes to CPs. They might get some VFTs now and then but they are kept indoors in high shade. I never see Sarrs. or Neps there.

• drivebytrucker
    12 years ago

wherryi no doubt. been in TC for years now. alabamensis is on the endangered species list and there would be some legal issues selling it.

Sponsored