Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadara_gw

Merging VFT and Nepnthes in same pot?

shadara
14 years ago

OMG! My mom's friends won't stop!!! First, they gave her a VFT 2 weeks ago... now an Asian Pitcher Plant (nepnthes?). They might as well have given her blind/deaf orphaned children! LOL

Both must have been from the same florist. They are in 3 1/2" pots in a 8" tall plastic dome that at least supplies air (through side cracks) and a deep base to add standing water to (1/4 of pot height). She has them in the "fullest sun" window which happens to be East.

As for the VFT, it seems to be doing ok so far and has grown a bit. No clue if it's trapped any insects and that's doubtful since it's indoors right now.

Question is... is it ok to pot them together in same pot? I've seen pictures of carnivorous terrariums/planters and such, but I wonder about the pitcher plant needing less sun than the VFT. And is it ok to bottom-water the pitcher plant same way as the other? It looks like they are in the same medium (sphagnum moss).

Since we live in NE Michigan, it's not a good idea to put it outside right now. But once things warm up here (at least another 5 wks or so), we plan to put them both outside (hoping in a container together). Think it's feasible?

Currently, we are keeping them in the domes to protect them from our several house cats on their easy access table. Once outside, they will be on a top shelf of a baker's rack style of stand. So hopefully cats will leave it alone.

Your thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored