Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Sarracenia Species outside

Posted by envirosci SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 2:13

I live in SoCal (Irvine, Orange County, near LA) ... I would like to know if I could grow Sarracenia pitchers outside ...
because it's a little cold at night and it's boiling hot during the day sometimes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Sarracenia Species outside

Yes, grow them outside. I lived in Irvine but I am now in the Inland Empire where it gets much hotter during the days and it still gets cold at night. Your plants will do fine.

o

Agreed! I have to put mine in the fridge here in the winter in N.Y. but you should be fine. Enjoy!

o

thanks for the reply, one more question though -- do I put Sarracenia in the fridge during winter in Irvine or do I leave them outside

thanks tons

o

I don't know what winter is like where you are but if you don't get frosts I'd leave them outside.

o

but if I don't get frosts, would my plants go into dormancy?

o

The will do fine outside year round in S. CA. They will still go dormant in late fall/winter from the shorter daylight hours. Just make sure in dry times you use good water, rain, distilled or RO. Start catching rain water now if you haven't already.

o

but if I don't get frosts, would my plants go into dormancy?

o

They will still go dormant in late fall/winter from the shorter daylight hours.

o

LOL!

o

We don't get too many frosts out here in Riverside and my plants went dormant around late October/early November. It gets cold enough in Irvine, and like Taz said, the hours of sunlight will decrease and send them into dormancy.

o

Sorry Taz lol, I didn't check my message on time so I posted a question that was already being answered.

And for the water, is it okay if I use tap water with instant water conditioner for aquarium -- would that be okay for the plants?

o

Sure, if you want to kill your plants. Most tap water has too many dissolved solids. If the TDS is below 100 it's fine but I doubt your tap water is that pure.

Rain, distilled or RO only.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here