Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyldeflwr

Planters for sarracenia & bog plants

wyldeflwr
18 years ago

Please someone help me. I bought two of these plants last week and have set them temporarily in rain water in an unused concrete basin that is supposed to be part of a fountain setup. Will this hurt the plants until I can set up something in the ground? I read so much of "what not to do" and I am really unsure of what is the best way to treat these plants. Is there a container smaller than the rain barrel size one could use? I want to leave them to overwinter (they are supposed to be hardy here)and I can't seem to find basic instructions on how to initially set up the growing space for them. I was especially concerned that something in the concrete basin might hurt them. Do I leave them in the pots or plant them in a medium?

Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Shirley

Comments (13)

• tangandingin
    18 years ago

In principle the concrete might leak some calcium in to the acid medium of your Sarracenias. Then again do not worry overmuch, these plants can stand some maltreatment, as long as you do not let them dry out.
    They are not particular about their medium, I have them in UNFERTILIZED garden peat, mixed with 50% well washed fine gravel. I also have grown them in pure living sphagnum. The main thing is: nutrient poor medium and keep them moist.

Rolf from The Hague, The Netherlands, where this year autumn directly follows winter

• petiolaris
    18 years ago

As said above,for a temporary solution, they should be alright. I happen to use plastic buckets (like the Homer buckets at Home Depot) and use them as minibogs for Sarracenias, VFT's, temperate sundews, and Cobra Lily. I also poke holes toward the top and bottom for drainage. They have handles, so I can take them to my cold attic for winter dormancy. I mix sand and peat and topdress with LFS. Sand can be purchased at a pool supply store and both sphagnum peat and LFS at Home Depot or Lowes. Rinse soil media thoroughly. Sand is best rinsed in a bucket and peat & LFS in a spaghetti collander. you can also use rectangular or circular plastic planters.

• wyldeflwr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I appreciate the advice. I need a bit more clarification if you would please. What is a Homer bucket? I thought they would winter over here in Maryland. Would I need to bring them inside during the winter? What is LFS? I feel so lost, but am really interested in these. I tried several years ago to grow them without any knowledge and put them in my "bog" garden which was mostly peat moss and they did not survive. This time I would like to do it correctly. Thanks for the help.

• kwoods
    18 years ago

Concrete is less than ideal. It wicks water and it contains lime which will cause your medium to become basic over time. Something impermeable (plastic/ceramic) with some added drainege would be better. Plastic tub/kiddie pool works well. I just line a hole in the ground w/ some carpet then a plastic tarp. Works well.

MD. is a great place for an outdoor CP bog.

Folks at the Bog Garden Forum can sometimes be helpful too.

• sarraceniahunter
    18 years ago

I believe that LFS refers to long fibered sphagnum moss. If you use ceramic pots make sure to use a glazed one. A clay pot can build up salts that will potentaly harm your plants. The liner-in-the-ground is probably your best bet. Depending on how low your temps get, they'll probably be alright. I've included a link below to Sarracenia Northwest. They have care-sheets on their web site that will help you greatly. If you don't see the info that you are looking for on the care sheets, just contact them and ask. They are really nice folks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarracenia Northwest

• petiolaris
    18 years ago

Sorry about that! A Homer bucket is just what Home Depot calls their plastic orange bucket, with a handle, for easy transport. Any bucket or planter or as mentioned above, kiddie pool would do. LFS is indeed Long Fibred Sphagnum Moss, foyund at the H.D. or Owes, for `$4, in a plastic bag. you can buy the 2.5 or 3.8 cubic ft. bags of sphagnum peat at those places. Maryland is warm enough for year round bog gardening, but I think it gets cold enough that it would be advisable to mulch it with sphagnum peat and pine needles. Now if you go the potable bucket route, you can simply take your buckets to the attic for the winter.

I've never utilized Sarracenia Northwest but have an "email pal" who does and thinks the world of them and occasionally copy & pastes their informnative care sheets.

I can also come up with an excellent step by step and pictoral fo a guy in connecticut who has am intricate amd impressive bog garden and winter mulching. Just have to do a search.

• petiolaris
    18 years ago

Heya - Jim & everyone

It was me. I'm in Connecticut where we get lots of snow & freezing temps in the winter. Here's what I did last October & it worked very well - only lost 2 of 100 or so plants.

1. I built an 8 foot by 4 foot raised garden bed.
    2. Started collecting lots of pine needles. A garbage bag or two full.
    3. Then I filled the raised bed with FREE compost from our local recycling center.
    3. A day or two before dormancy I sprayed down all the plants with a fungicide (powder you mix with water) using a 2 gallon pump style garden sprayer.
    4. I scooped out little holes and placed all the plants (pots and all) in the raised bed, packing the soil around the pots. I tried to put the tenderest plants in the center.
    5. Sprayed all plants with fungicide, again.
    6. Strew pine needles over all the plants, about an inch thick layer.
    7. Placed a large sheet of burlap (over the whole bed) on top of the pine needle layer.
    8. Shoveled on a 1 foot deep layer of wood chips on top of the burlap the first week (again = FREE from our recycling center ).
    9. The following week added another foot of wood chips.

When spring rolled around, I would remove a few inches of the wood chips as the weather warmed up. One suggestion John Phillip (NECPS Prez) suggested was to use pine boughs instead of wood chips because you just don't know what's in the stuff from your recycling center - stuff that could cause disease or otherwise damage your plants.

I hope this helps everone.

WildBill

• winged_mammal
    18 years ago

The easiest way to grow them for me is in a black plastic pot that shrubs or perennials come in. Plant the sarracenia in the pot in a mixture of 1/2 sand & 1/2 peat moss. Next put the pot in a pond if you have one. At least half the pot should be above the water level. If you don't have a water garden put the pot in a deep saucer of water. Done.

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

Well not to add confusion to this thread but I am currently growing a plant of Sarrencia psittacina in a regular one gallon plastic pot-the common sized pot of plants that you can find in any nursery. It is not sitting in water at all.
    But I do try to water it once a day sometimes twice.

It was one of those bagged plants. As I mistakenly purchased it as a Darlingtonia (which it had been labelled as such!) I decided that I would play around with the culture as I was not all that impressed by this sprawling Sarr. So I bought a regular commercial planting mix for acid loving plants such as azeleas, etc. and I put about one-half inch of this mix into the bottom of the pot for the Sarr. Then I mixed equal parts of the commercial acid mix and regular milled peat moss and filled in the pot with this mixture up to the point where the sarr would be sitting with its growth crown about one-half inch below the lip of the pot. After setting in the sarr I filled in the space between the plant and the pot with plain milled peat moss. I then watered with distilled.
    I make it a point to spray the plant whenever I spray down my bog and my lycopodiums and mosses which is several times a day and into the night. I water the sarr from the top.
    I do this intentionally in order to cause the water to percolate downward and in the hopes that the water will dilute the nutrients in the commercial mix washing some out of the pot.

(Will have to post an image later) The plant is doing unreal!
    The leaves tend to be erect and it has produced a single flower stalk. So I am anxiously awaiting to see what it looks like so I can image it.

Perhaps in the near future I shall try this same procedure with another species to see what happens.

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

{{gwi:549871}}
    Here is my plant sitting in front of my greenhouse door.
    I keep it in a cooler spot where it gets only 4-5 hours of direct sun. It seems happy!

• wyldeflwr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow T-man! That's beautiful! The two I purchased are that type, just not quite the same color and no where near that large but one can hope!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I already have learned quite a bit and will keep you involved in my newest adventure in gardening. I am certain I haven't had all the questions answered yet.

• sarraceniahunter
    18 years ago

Wow that's pretty nice! Is that the Scarlette Belle hybrid? I've got something like that that I rescued from a Home Depot in Gulfport, MS. I got 8 but only 3 made it. It was right after Katrina and I guess the storm surge got them!

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

I have no idea what it is other than a S. psittacina or one of its hybrids. It came in a bag labelled Cobra Plant and so naturally I thought Darlingtonia. It was only after I got home and saw that it did not seem quite right that I realized there was no mustache!!!! So I ided it off the net.
    Personally I am surprised by how well it has done with the kind of culture I have given it. The only other Sarr I have is the one in my bog, S. purpurea. I am not a Sarr fan though I adore Heliamphoras!
    I will probably try and get another species of Sarr from a local grower (I listed the link above) but it seems almost every time I try to visit something else comes up and next thing I have forgotten! Eventually!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!