Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Systemic Insect Killer

Posted by mattmega4 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 2:38

So i just watched a thing on CPs..it says to use a systemic insect killer..and i tried to find the exact one shown on the video..but the local nursery/hardware store discontinued it
It was Ortho, systemic, insect and mite....ALL i could find was Green Light Tree and Shrub Systemic Insect Killer Concencrate...will a tree and shrub systemic be ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Systemic Insect Killer

Depends on the insect. The insecticide has a list of insects it treats. If it's spidermites there isn't much out there that is effective. High humidity and misting if effective in controlling their #s. A sharp spray of water will dislodge most insects. Imidacloprid is effective on most insects but turns mites into breeding machines. Ortho was very good but unfortunately a hazard to the environment because of the abuse. People need to follow directions.

o

From what i've seen..and i've looked i dont have spider mites yet...im actually more concerned about aphids!
so i noticed at the hardware store they have an indoor systemic insect killer..and it says aphids on thre (and my plants are NOT inside ...they are outside in full sun) but it was the only systemic insect killer that wasnt for trees or shrubs..will that be ok

MAYBE i should ask this..because on another forum people told me it is all about the active ingredient..which active ingredients are ok for aphids on cps? and which ones should i stay away from?

o

I would use imidacloprid as a soil drench. Empty your watering tray and mix enough with pure water to fill it once. Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer is widely available and contains imidacloprid. If they are not gone in a week then use it in a pump sprayer on anything besides Drosera. Drosera don't like sprays. Imidacloprid was recommended to me by trusted members of the ICPS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here