Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Will Pinguicula primuflora grow successfully in a terrarium?

quinnfyre
15 years ago

I have a Pinguicula primuflora in my orchid terrarium. I'm not entirely certain that's the best place for it, though. It is flowering in there, and has caught gnats. I put it in there to test it out, and for it to recover a bit. It arrived a bit smushed during shipment, and I think it was either repotted before shipping or the stress of shipping ripped it out of the pot, because it had a few very shallow roots and was sitting loosely atop a much deeper pot. It had two or three flowers that were completely destroyed, and no ability to catch its food (no 'grease'). I repotted it into something shallower for now. The humidity stays pretty high in the terrarium, between 75-90%, which is great for the orchids I grow in there, but again, I don't know if the ping should stay there. It is definitely rooted now, as it wouldn't budge when I tugged gently on it. It is not planted in the substrate directly - it's in its own pot, in the same medium it came in, lightened just a smidge with some vermiculite and perlite - and is only watered with distilled water. It is definitely growing as well as blooming, but the lower leaves that are touching the growing medium are curling up and browning over time. I tried to pot it so the leaves wouldn't be touching, but it just wouldn't cooperate.

I'd rather know sooner than later if it should be removed. I'm happy it's growing and rooted though. On the chance that this situation is not ideal for it, what other carnivorous plant would work? It needs to be quite small... the ping fits neatly in there potted in a 2.5 inch pot. The terrarium ranges in temps from 70-78F, and the humidity again goes between 75-90% (most often in the 80-85% range). A small computer fan in the terrarium runs 24/7, and the lid stays cracked open a tiny bit.

Sponsored