Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mukaketupat

I've tried everything! I still cant make my plant grow pitchers!!

mukaketupat
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I hope someone is kind enough to help me. I got a pitcher plant for a gift for christmas. It was in a small pot with about 4 pitchers. I left it hanging on the balcony, gets about 2-4 hours sun everyday. All the pitchers dried up in less than a week. I mist it at least twice a day and kept the soil moist. Spray it with liquid organic fertiliser once in two weeks.

Its been 4/5 months, the leaves are twice as much, but no pitchers at all. I've just repotted it last night with a mix of sphagnum and moss, and theres a lot of baby leaves coming out from the roots.

So i dont know what this means? At the end of every leaf, theres like a small hook that looks like it could potentially be a baby pitcher, then it turns brown..

So what should i do next? Where do i go from here?

Here is a link that might be useful: heres my blog

Comments (32)

• mukaketupat
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi mutant,

Thank you so much for your advice. I've posted some images of my pitcher plant on my blog (http://pokok.gejala.org/2007/mukaketupat/nepenthes/my-cry-for-help/)

I will leave it alone for now. And wait for a few more months. I was at the nursery yesterday and they had tons and tons of pitcher plants, and i was tempted to get one. But thought i want to save this one first or i'll just ended up killing both. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: images here!

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello mukaketupat,

It is always much harder to tell what kind of Nepenthes it is if it does not have pitchers. The leaves look healthy.

The plant vitalizer you displayed might be alright to use, just use less and only on the leaves.

If you can, give it a little more light. That might help it make pitchers.

When a Nepenthes gets more light, it will start to develop some bronze color on it's leaves too. That is a sign that it it is receiving a lot of light and the plant will have a lot of energy to produce pitchers and fluid to drown insects.

Be patient and the plant will be fine.

• mukaketupat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mutant hybrid...

thanks!

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: more about my other plants

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

the baby pitchers turn green. they start out brown.

Hydrus.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

i usually neglect my pitcher plant during summertime and leave it outside in direct sunlight and grows well. Unfortunately its winter again and just sits on the windowsill with no food:(

• carriethomas_windstream_net
    12 years ago

hello I,m Pinky227! and I live in the United States and one of my daughters has gave me a pitcher plant it is growing but I,m alittle worried about the pitchers on it,bec. they are turning brown and I don,t know what to do if I should cut them off and where do I cut them off at or just leave them alone!I deal with alot of plants but this one has got me puzzled could someone plz. help me I really would appericate it and send it to my e-mail at carriethomas@windstream.net Thank you so much and may God bless you!

• petiolaris
    12 years ago

Can you post a picture of the plant? Are the pitchers in question older or newer leaves? I can't Email becaue I am at work, but I can send one tomorrow morning.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

There is too much MISinformation regarding fertilizing of nepenthes. They can take full strength liquid fertilizers with regular watering schedules.
    {{gwi:550174}}
    Plants do need high light levels, good air circulation and ample watering. This combined with extra nutrients all add up to multiple pitchers on compact robust growing plants.
    I've never experienced any kind of burns or decrease in plant growth because of "over" fertilizing my plants. They respond favorably to nutrients in the root zone.
    {{gwi:550175}}

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Why is everyone so "afraid" of fertilizing their nepenthes?
    {{gwi:550176}}
    You should be more afraid of fertilizing your African violets, or your Christmas Cacti. Nepenthes are hardy fool-proof plants. But they are HUNGRY plants. Hungrier than just bugs.
    Regular fertilizing regime makes healthy happy well developed plants.
    {{gwi:550177}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Simple, because if you take 15 different "experts" each tell a different story about fertilizing them. I personally spray my foliage in the spring to help induce pitchers. IT WORKS, despite what some people say. Some people don't want to kill their plant(s) after being told NOT to add ferts. to the soil. The CP forums always have debates on this subject.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

true tommyr, though you must admit; RainforestGuy's plants do look exceptionaly health (certainly healthier than mine!)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Yes, his plants look great. But, you must take into consideration soil type, amount of Sun, humidity,etc. All of that factors in as well. Some people never fertilize and their plants look great too. Experimenting is all fine and dandy, IF you remember that you may LOSE some plants in the process.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

Well don't look at me, I'm not trying to fight RainforestGuy's fights; And I'm willing to try something new, because my plants all look terrible. *sigh*
    I just have to be patient and wait. I'm also concerned for a little nep I rescued from Home Depot a few weeks back, it looks really scraggly, but I think I'll try what RainforestGuy said, and fertilize it, because it has Ideal conditions, all except for nutrients.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I have never lost a plant to fertilizing/overfertilizing. NEVER!!!!

When I first started growing and believing what the "experts" have told me to do, I have lost dozens of plants just by doing exactly what they told me to do.

Nepenthes grows with the same kinds of plants that when we fertilize, they all grow luxuriantly. Nepenthes grows with many orchids Paphs, phalalenopsis. bulbophyllums, aroids, hoyas, ferns, begonias, lycopodium, everything. yet when you fertilize any of these plants, they explode into growth.
    Why is it that people feel that nepenthes will get injured when fertilizing them? Doesn't make any sense. So fertilize the roots of nepenthes and watch them grow!

Incidentally even if you foliar feed your plants, run off goes into the soils and gets into the root systems eventually, even in low dosages. But foliar feeding doesn't do anything for the plants because the nutrients in a general fertilizer must be broken down into usable nitrite units that can ONLY be digested by bacteria present in the soil. There's no bacteria present ON the leaves and none IN the plants, so the only way nutrient can be absorbed is by activity with bacteria IN THE ROOT zone.
    I try not to wet the leaves or pitchers when fertilizing because the harmful salts can cause pitcher and leaf damage over time.
    {{gwi:550179}}

Pitchers color better when they are fertilized by their root systems.
    {{gwi:550180}}

I have had good results even when growing difficult species when they are fertilized regularly.
    {{gwi:550181}}

Give it a try for a half year and see for yourself.
    {{gwi:550182}}

Results are quick and when done regularly it's like magic!
    {{gwi:550183}}
    Doesn't everyone's nepenthes grow like weeds?
    {{gwi:550184}}

• Hegory
    12 years ago

Yeah tommorow morning I am gowing to fertilize my neps with some of the Shultz instant stuff, it sounds like that what they have been screaming for. (if they even have the energy to scream!)

• Hegory
    12 years ago

I just fertilized them all, now I just have to wait.

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Rainforestguy, I am totally sold. I had a pitcher years ago and it waned, eventually died. If I find another one, I'm doing what you said.
    Thanks for the photos and the good read. Loved the whole thread.

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Rainforestguy, I am totally sold. I had a pitcher years ago and it waned, eventually died. If I find another one, I'm doing what you said.
    Thanks for the photos and the good read. Loved the whole thread.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    interesting read . can't imagine a problem in Malaysia
    Aren't most of these native to that area ??
    my wife bought one many years ago so I hung it in the shadehouse populated most by epiphytes which get regular foliar ferts so obviously some is getting on it also lol
    Only problem has been GROWTH climbs over everything lol One problem tried to start some cuttings and all failed ?? thinking of growing some outdoors in my epiphyte garden had the original hanging in a Carombola for many years with no problem
    Just think you need some time ?? Good luck gary

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Gary,
    Try spraying (or dipping so your sprayer doesn't clog) the cuttings with 'WiltPruf'...all except the root tip. It will seal in some moisture so the plant cutting doesn't transpire as much, and may aid in getting it to root. I haven't tried it with plant in question, but others as delicate, and it does help me out. Then root up in pot as you normally would.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Don't think I'd describe it as "delicate " more like "rampant " or obnoxious" lol. Was thinking of trying it scrambling up a palm tree but suspect it will really be "obnoxious " there lol
    have to constantly prune it as it invades other pots and only half heartedly tried to root the cuttings. Didn't even use rooting hormone . thanks very much for the suggestion!!! gary

• Tyler-Mercer
    9 years ago

What type of fertilizer are you using for your Plants?
    I am trying to grow my own carnivorous plants and am loving your pictures.
    Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!

• timestocome
    9 years ago

I fertilize my nepenthes as well.

As to not having pitchers, mine don't grow pitchers when the humidity is too low, they grow tons of beautiful pitchers when the humidity climbs over ~65%

• winklersae
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I fertilize as well afer years of not and no pitcher production, as soon as I started fertilizing BOOM, pitchers!!! My problem is my 6 ft pitcher plant vine is starting to turn brown in different spots ( long before I started fertilizing) All of the leaves still look very healthy and new 1 and 2 foot vines have stared from the main staulk. I assume it just needs to be trimmed and restarted, but I dont know how to do that. My other plants, I would just trim and put it in water until it roots and then plant it.... but this is a pitcher plant... it is a large variety, leaves themselves are 10 inchs or so and pitches are between 4-6 inchs. Any suggestions ???

• purslanegarden
    8 years ago

cut leaves on the cuttings to be about 1-3" long. Don't leave the pitchers on the cuttings.

• Judy Strickland
    7 years ago

To milquetoast: PLEASE NOTE: YOUR plant will NOT A FORM PITCHERS IF IT'S in THE BRIGHT SUN. It requires FILTERED LIGHT- ALSO, DO NOT FILL THE PITCHERS WITH WATER!. THEY PRODUCE THEIR OWN Sticky substance and water is NOT necessary. If NECESSARY, IN THE WINTER WHEN BUGS ARE FEW, YOU MAY FEED RECONSTITUTED BLOOD WORMS. LASTLY --. DO NOT FERTILIZE YOUR PITCHER PLANT!!!

• winklersae
    7 years ago

Many articles say not to fertilize, but I have found that fertilizer does help! I use a fertilzer that has bat guano. Not a miracle grow type. Some species require more light or more humidity. I have never direct sunlight, they are in windows, but not direct, always been shaded. Once they do have pictures i do feed bugs. If the green in the tips are drying could be a water issue, fertilizer or to hot (sun)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

To induce pitchering in the spring LIGHTLY spray a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer on the leaves every 2 weeks. Just a LIGHT spraying is all that's needed.

• Bérangère Bouffard
    7 years ago

Great thread! I'm learning from reading all this. My plant lost her pitchers a few years back (I learned the hard way with light, humidity and distilled water) but she seemed to do okay with long stems full of leaves. It's finally growing new shoots and 7 pitchers!! One is already the size of my thumb others are still tiny. I just want to know if I have to cut the long stems with foliage that are not giving pitchers. They are nice to look at and add lots of green to my bathroom but maybe the plant is wasting energy with them and I should trim them so that the pitchers can grow?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

You can cut them of leave them. I never cut them as they do no harm.

• Bérangère Bouffard
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Good to know! I almost gave it a buzz cut this morning!!! It looks so good in our bathroom (almost like a spider plant) but as I see the little pitchers growing, I wondered if the stems were not wasting the plant's energy to grow more. I often see pictures of pitcher plants with very few stem (only stems are the ones with pitchers attached) so I thought maybe this was the secret. I was ready to cut 3 off which would have broken the spell of the room. If it doesn't bother my plant I will let it be! :) Can you tell me which fertilizer you use? You mentioned a fertilizer with bat guano? You have a Source? A link? I don't trust the ones in store here (limited options).

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida