Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepthes

Good beginner carnivorous plants?

nepthes
15 years ago

I was wondering what carnivorous plants are good for beginners.

Comments (8)

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

My advice?

Cape Sundew
    Venus Flytrap
    Purple Pitcher Plant

All of these can be found at Lowes in Deathcubes.

• ltecato
    15 years ago

Based solely on my own experience, I'd say the cape sundew is the closest thing to a "can't miss" plant for beginners. Sarracenias are pretty easy, too. With these plants, all you really need is a sunny spot, pure water and a good soil mix. Watering is about the only maintenance they need on a regular basis.

I've been messing with carnivores for several years and, to be honest, I still don't think I'm any good with flytraps. We get a lot of questions here from beginners who are having problems with them. Regardless, I do like to buy them in summer when flies are abundant around here. I've even seen a plant closing on a fly once, which is pretty darn cool. But most of my vfts don't seem to recover from winter dormancy very well.

• ahuehuete
    15 years ago

I agree, the capensis sundew is the best for beginners.
    Other relatively easy plants to grow are: pinguicula morarensis, drosera filiformis, and drosera binata; sorry if there are some mistakes in the spelling of names.
    This others are easy too, as long as you provide them enough humidity: drosera adelae, nepenthes alata, and drosera spatulata.
    Same rule applies for a lot of Sarracenia (pitcher plants), but you must give them lots of light or the pitchers will be pale green and the plant will eventually die. The possible exception is sarracenia purpurea.
    I DON´T recomend venus flytraps (dionaea muscipula), because they need lots of humidity, lots of light, and over all, a WINTER DORMANCY, if you don´t give them one, they will certainly die.
    Good luck.

• alcran
    15 years ago

I can safely recommend nepenthes eymae. It has withstood 110 with 40% humidity. They are on sale at cobraplant.com right now. Most carnivores can be adjusted to lower humidity. I grew a small hamata on a windowsill. It grew fast and pitchered. It died of mites though.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

I'll throw in d. Adalea. Grows like a weed!

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

D. capensis, D. binata, D. filiformis, D. spatulata, and most Mexican butterworts.

{{gwi:550362}}

{{gwi:550364}}

{{gwi:550366}}

{{gwi:550367}}

{{gwi:550368}}

• ltecato
    15 years ago

Petiolaris: That last photo of the ping is awesome.

Also, I agree about D. binata. I've recently acquired a few and they seem to be no trouble at all.

• nepthes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor