Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travis100178

Venus Flytrap bought from walgreens

travis100178
16 years ago

I bought a venus flytrap from walgreens today and its instructions were terrible am I supposed to take the plant out of the plastic clear cylinder please help ... Travis

Comments (18)

• saturniidaebreeder
    16 years ago

I got the same one actually. If the plant seems to big for the cylinder take it out, and if you have a teranium, put it in their. Be sure to keep the soil moist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeremy- Moths and Butterflies

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

No!
    The iron rule of growing VFT's is never ever grow them in a terrarium!Just put it outside and let it grow there.

- Adrian

• ambrew
    16 years ago

Hi, we have one of these and it does seemingly well and eats a lot. The problem is now all the traps are full of crusty fly carcas'. Should these be removed or left alone?

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Here's some info on that http:/sarracenia.com/faq/faq2480.html

- Adrian

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Here's some info on that http://sarracenia.com/faq/faq2480.html

- Adrian

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Sorry for double-posting, the first link is wrong.

- Adrian

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

I got one of those but at a dollar store. I sat the plant in its plastic cylinder outside where it gets some direct sun for about 2-3 hours a day, though now my pussywillows arre leafing out and it will be only getting late afternoon direct sun. The plant is doing great even with temps falling into the mid 30s and has even sent out a flower spike which I popped off. It may be crowded but it is the easiest way to maintain humidity for it here in coastal central California.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Remove the platic dome and put at a window sill until you see new growth. Then move to outside, in the shade until it acclimates. Then move to full sunshine.

• ambrew
    16 years ago

Thank you for the link. Exactly what i was looking for.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Most carnivorous plants do not need additional humidity and do not need to be grown in terrariums or under domes. Too many problems arise with carnivorous plants in terrariums (mold, bactrial rot, waterlogging, low light). It takes much more work to keep the plants alive than if you simply pot them like a house or garden plant. Venus Flytraps generally do best outside as they are full sun plants. All my plants are open pot and are just fine.

• saturniidaebreeder
    16 years ago

Sorry about that, usually I keep mine in a dome without a top for the winter.

• liam1011
    15 years ago

I just leave my VFT out in some good sun in my conservatory, give it plenty of water, it doesnt seem to be too fussed about humidity, my only advice would be do it gradually, let it slowly get used to the change.
    you don't want them going into shock!

• chokolatedove
    15 years ago

I always thought the venuses woeuld do goodin a terrarium. I had mines in the house in the little hermit crab containers. t has a covered top with lots of holes in it. I moved it to my balcony after reading this thread....I hope it does ok. I know that it doesn't get many bugs in the house. I had originally brought it for the gnat prob i was having..i hope they will be ok.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

VFT's are very definitely and outdoor plant. They do alright in a terrarium for awhile but will weaken from lack of direct sunlight and no dormancy.

• mjp_80
    15 years ago

they can do very well in a tank with allot of light. Like on my 10 gal i have CFLS that are = to 500watts . You really need to light the heck of off the tank . CFLS work well. Also what i do is pump co2 into the tank with a home made co2 maker made with yeast and sugar. Keep the air moving for about 3 hours a day with a pc fan and you will get the best looking fly traps ever.

• codysflytrapwontopen
    15 years ago

okay i bout a vft while it was open. I got in the car and it closed up. This was about a week ago and it still hasnt opened up. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to make it open. If it goes to much longer i am going to try and pry its mouth open and stick a fly in its trap.

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

It might be trying to digest something. I'd make sure he's getting lots of distilled water and he should open back up, or he might make a new trap instead. Does it have any new branches (vines?) coming up from it's base?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Cody,
    Just leave it alone. It'll open if it wants OR that trap MAY be on the way out. They only open and close about 3-5 times before dying back.

Let nature do it's thing!

Sponsored