Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neps dried up quick, is this normal?

Posted by adamski (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 14:04

Hi, ive got this nep from ebay less than 6 months ago. As soon as it arived the 1st pitcher grew (only a lil ting about 2" tall), and since has produced 4 leaves (no pitchers), and all the origioanl leaves are now dieing back. All this to me has been as expected for a new cutting, tho this is my first nep.

Today i noticed that the 1 and only pitchers top has dried out over the past 5-7days. Is there a reason behind this is or this usual activity for a nep of this size?

Thanx

p.s. the pic below is of the newest leaf (sorry just excited as i rekon its gona grow me a new lil pitcher :) )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neps dried up quick, is this normal?

If the pitcher in question is the one that it arrived with, it had a nice long life. Bid it farewell and sit back and wait for the next one. They come and go and sadly do not stay for a long time.

What conditions are you growing it in? My window neps have no pitchers due to the lack of light in the winter.

o

What kind of nep is this and how are the growing conditions like?

The pitchers on nepenthes after awhile will dry up and the plant is probably still getting used to it's new home so my guess is that the pitcher that dried up was drying up naturally or it dried up due to the change in it's enviroment so soon the new leaves should start making new pitchers.

Just keep giving it the things it needs and eventually you'll get some nice pitchers.

o

According to species, your Nepenthes might produce one pitcher at a time, or it might produce a plethora of pitchers constantly. As they adapt to changes in humidity and temperature and light, they will spped up or slow down in pitcher production and might even stop producing pitchers altogether if the conditions are not right. Keep watching the new tendril and see if the pitcher bud continues growing bigger daily. If it swells and lenthens and curls up at the tip it will make a new pitcher and your plant is adapting to your home. If it stays the same size, does not curl, or even dries up and hardens, it has aborted the pitcher and might not happy about something in the environment.

o

Top up pitchers with rain water when they arrived in the mail to keep them good. Sounds like its not humid enough for it to produce big pitchers and keep them, try it in a hot house, esp.in winter.Maybe not enough light or the wrong growing medium. but most neps are pretty tough with growing medium and quality of water,i'd say not enough humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here