my carnivorous plants need help!

KittieKAT
9 years ago

This is my Venus flytrap dente he's been doing pretty good overall

Comments (20)

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This. Is my other Venus flytrap dente I've had him for a few months and there is still NoOoOooOoo New growth I'm not sure WHY this is? Any idea?

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my cape sundew typical, he has been very droopy and turning black on his ends of his tentacles And had been very unresponsive to touch or catching food on his tentacles ? Any idea why this is?

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is one of my cape sundew albas That are unresponsive, frayed and droopy and haven't been doing much better since I've got them, any idea what i is wrong with them and how i can HELP them survive?

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the other two cape sundew albas same problem with the tentacles and the dropping and no new growth and being unresponsive?

• Drosera84
    9 years ago

Hi
    Your media is looking every dry for starter. Also, what kind of media are you using? It looks more like a Cephalotus or Pinguicula mix then a Dresera mix

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They have been repotted with a standard CP soil peat and perlite with some sand, there is long fibered shpagnum on the bottom of the pots and on the top of my VFT as you can tell from the pic. I tray feed them so there soil is pretty moist without getting them to drown. I have an outdoor display case I'm turning into a terrarium on my Sun porch but I'm worried to put them out there in there current state.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

The 2 conditions I could think of are humidity and lighting.

Some of the soil looks moist and some look dry but then you mentioned are watering them, so we'll go with water being OK. But the plastic around the plants look pretty dry. Maybe the surrounding humidity is low.

However, the plants should still be growing and looking better without the exact humidity they would need. So the next thing I can think of is lighting. In all the pictures, the room's light looks like it would be fine for a human to see and move around, but many not for a plant to grow thrive with. It won't die, but it isn't thriving.

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

What are their lighting conditions? If you're not growing them under proper grow lights, then your best bet would be growing them outside, where they can receive full sunlight. These plants require lots of light in order to grow properly. However, if you do move them outside, place them in a shaded area first for a couple of weeks, so they can have time to adjust. Or else they'll get burned.

You can take that clear plastic off of them, they'll do just fine without it. And if you're not planning on breeding your flytraps, I'd highly recommend cutting off their flower spikes. Their flowers aren't all that spectacular and they use up quite a bit of your flytraps' energy. Energy that would be better used towards growing more traps and stronger plants.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im currently growing them directly under a florescent light till my display case Terrarium on my Sun porch is done abs i get some compact fluorescents any idea what watt would be good?, i have planted seeds for VFT i was thinking about pruning the flowers of but haven't decided quite yet do u kno the best way to do that? Where to cut etc..etc....

I only bring the cp's outside wheb the sun is out but recently the d hasn't been the case with all this MA rain and clouds.

Any tips on the terrarium for my plants (succulents, cacti, CP's) would be appreciated

• Drosera84
    9 years ago

Here is a site for propagation it is very informative:
    http://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation-of-venus-fly-traps.html

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Not all fluorescent lights are created equal. Your best option would be those that are marked as "daylight" & give off light in the 6,500K spectrum range. I use these and they work great. Your carnivorous plants will love them. :)

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks I'll check them out Tommyboy

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

The whole thing where flytraps don't make large traps with flowers is a myth. Just fyi. I'll have to remember to post a pic of my VFT yellow cluster with one inch + traps producing like 8 flower stalks.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anyone have any advice on how to help my cape sundews get there dew back? I recently took them outta there humidity wrapping to check them over since its been getting sunny and warm enough to put them out on the porch for a few hours a day and I just noticed that most of the legs it came with are dying off and new ones are slowly growing in and in some spots I can actually see sum dew on them!!!! yay!! but im not sure why the rest don't have dew and are turning back and dying off??

also another problem im having is my smaller VFT dente pictured above still isn't growing any new traps its growing a flower stalk but no new traps and I also saw that it seems to have as smaller plant with very, very small un finished traps growing outta the side of it...?? that aren't producing normal traps either?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

First, those wrappings do more harm than good. The main culprit of no dew is not enough light. Increase your lighting and remove the wrap.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wrap is off, it only goes on when they need the humidity, there soaking up the sun on my Sun porch but this MA weather is constantly changing, what i would do for summer to really start

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Flytraps do expend a lot of energy when they bloom. But when they're healthy and grown under ideal conditions, blooming won't phase them one bit. I got back in the hobby of growing CP's two years ago. Last Spring, I chose not to let my flytraps bloom, so that they could primarily focus on growing bigger. But this season, I just went ahead and let them. They're sending up their flower spikes right now, as well as much larger leaves and traps. I'm already going to have to repot them in to a larger pot, so I can give them more space to grow and to let their roots grow deeper.

I would also have to agree about keeping CP's enclosed doing more harm than good. I have sundews that grows year-round, so I grow them under lights during the cold months. Well, my central heating for my home severely dries out the humidity. I have a little digital weather station that displays info such as the humidity, and during the Winter, it drops down to just 2%. My sundews still grow happy and healthy with plenty of dew on its leaves. I just keep them well watered and provide them plenty of light. There is no need to keep any of your CP's covered with plastic, they'll do just fine without it.

This post was edited by ToMMyBoY69 on Sat, May 10, 14 at 3:16

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since the days have been sunny my cp's are out on my Sun porch enjoying the nice weather, still have yet to grow back ALL of there dew on the sundews so they can catch some food but i see small things happening so that's good news, i also just added to my collection.....and i found a 100 watt day light bulb and i got a 150 watt soft white one As well, any idea which would be better to use with my cp's and what other one i should just try to use with my succulent/cacti plants. Here's pics of the New babies! A typical dew thread and a small crested petieol VFT!

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The VFT crested petieol

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

You can use both lights together, if you want. But the daylight CFL would be the best choice, for any plants. Does the daylight bulb give off light in the 6,500 K spectrum? It will have this info listed somewhere on the packaging.

Do you grow your CP's in 100% sphagnum moss? Some people grow their plants this way with success. I've tried and didn't. I use 50% peat moss/50% silica sand, and my plants absolutely love it. I do place a thin layer of sphagnum moss on top of the peat/sand mix, but only to keep the rain from splashing it around.

How cold does it get there where you live at night?
    How warm does it get during the day?

I took this photo a few days ago. I have several flytraps sharing a communal pot. They're just now sending up their flower spikes. I'm going to have to repot these into a larger pot, because they're already crowding out this one after just one year. (I have two pitcher plants in the background).

Sponsored