Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Pitcher plants indoors

Posted by lilprincess1026 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 16:12

Hi, I just bought a purple pitcher plant from a local botanist and he told me that i could keep it indoors but im not exactly sure how. He also gave me a care sheet but i heard you have to add water to the pitchers.... this is my first time with them and i dont want to mess up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Pitcher plants indoors

Can you post a photo of the plant? A true purple pitcher is an OUTSIDE plant. It will also need a dormant period of 3-4 months come fall.

o

This is it... the only problem with keeping it outside is that i live at a college and when im home there are animals that eat most of our plants

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

That's a S. Purperia. It's an OUTDOOR plant and will not last long indoors. They need full Sun and winter dormancy.

o

I dont really have anywhere outside to put it I live in the city... would a grow light work?

o

I've seen it done before with multiple, bright, (like 10,000K) bulbs indoors, but you'll still have the dormancy issue to solve. If the lighting you buy works for it. Some people that live in climates not conducive to adequate dormancy conditions put it in their fridges for the 3-4 months. However, I would slowly induce a dormancy that cold. You don't have a zone number so it's hard to say what your options for that are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here