Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_nepenthes

New Nepenthes Owner in Austin Texas

julie_nepenthes
17 years ago

Help!

I fell in love with a large Nepenthes Miranda at a garden show and bought a rather large one and took her home. The woman who sold me the Miranda didn't know much about it. She said she thought it wouldn't like direct sunlight and that I should fill the pitchers with water.

I came home, checked online - didn't see anything about filling pitchers with water, but did see a lot of 'don't let them dry out' advice.

I've had her three weeks.

I currently have her hanging outside. I mist her daily with rainwater collected in a barrel and I keep her medium moist (and well drained). She LOOKS good except that her pitchers have all dried up. At the same time she began producing new pitchers last week - though none are completed yet. Am I supposed to PUT water in the pitchers when they fill out??

This is Texas - and it gets hot. I have her outside right now and it gets to mid 80s in the day and 50s/60s at night. This summer it will get into the 90s and 100s. Should I move her inside then? Does anyone have experience with Mirandas in Texas?

She gets some sun in the morning and some in the evening, but spends the majority of the day in the shade.

There's also a pretty big quarter sized jumping spider that appears to be living on her now (talk about flirting with danger)!! He doesn't bother me and I think they just eat insects... but he doesn't pose any danger to the plant does he?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am completely in love with this plant (and am accustomed to keeping orchids) and am hoping I can take care of her properly in this climate.

Comments (5)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

AFAIK, the only pitcher plant that could use water in their pitchers are what is called Sarracenia purpurea. That's an American pitcher plant. Yours is a Nepenthes, which is an Asian pitcher plant. I think your salesperson may be mistaken in this area, but direct sunlight could easily "fry" her. That happened to my Neps last summer, and I was living in PA at the time. I wouldn't put water in the pitchers. Misting is what many Nepenthes growers do, though.

It is not at all unusual for older or existing pitchers to dry or die out. Either their time was up or they might have been in shock, with the change of environment. Nepenthes could several weeks to adjust. With some variation (highland vs. lowland), Nepenthes naturally grow in warm, humid environments, from near the equator. Texas may be a tad too hot and dry come summer. Nepenthes also do well by window sills, in hanging baskets, which is what I do. Many people also put them in terrariums.

I think your sunlight is adequate and as long as your plantis producing new pitchers, it seems to be adjusted and doing fine. When CP's lose old leaves but are producing healthy new ones, don't worry about the old ones. Always look at your new growth as an indicator of how things are going.

It is not unusual for other critters to take up residence at the mouth of a pitcher plant - as long as we're not talking about spider mites or aphids.

Seems like everybody using this discussion forum has Nepenthes and orchids!

Below is an example of a Nep in a hanging basket:

{{gwi:547541}}

• back2eight
    17 years ago

The only time I have added water to a pitcher was when it got shipped and the water that was in there fell out. Even then it wasn't really necesary to do but I was told at the time that it wouldn't hurt. New pitchers open up with the water that they need already inside them. Adding more water to them nay change the composition of it and make it where they can't digest the bugs properly. If you will notice as a pitcher is forming but the top hasn't opened yet, look through it in the sunlight and you will see water already in it. I have the same weather as you do, and I was going to experiment this summer with leaving one outside with only morning sun and shade the rest of the day. They are adaptable to different conditions. I really don't have a window with good enough sunlight to leave them in year round.

Lots of people with neps lately.

• FlytrpL8E
    17 years ago

Hey there Folks,
    That fluid isn't water in the nepenthes pitcher. It is digestive juices. Yes it is in there already before the pitcher opens up.
    The only time that I add water to nepenthes pitchers is when I accidentally run the fan spray at the wrong angle.
    It won't hurt them to add distilled water or a weak 10 % orchid fertilizer to the pitchers when you have jest received them by mail.
    The pitchers don't need nor do they want to be full of water, about half full is more like it.
    Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin'
    Lois

• jbowen004_satx_rr_com
    13 years ago

Do you still have your Nepenthes plant?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

Bright, indirect Sunlight. Keep the soil moist. To help pitchering to occur in the spring spray with a 1/4 strength orchid food on the leaves only every 2 weeks until you see the new pitchers start forming.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?