Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is mixing artificial light and sun light a good idea?

Posted by Chompz 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 16:27

Due to a squirrel problem in my yard in recent attempts I've been forced to have my plant under a 26f bulb in the house until i get home from work. It spends roughly 8 hrs(6a.m.-2 p.m.) this way and then the rest of the day outside. My question is will the mixture of fluorescent light and direct sun light stress the plant, and should I get a stronger bulb if not. Everyone seems wise on this site so im sure I'll get a good answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is mixing artificial light and sun light a good idea?

I'm not really sure to be honest... I myself do keep some plants indoors during harsher weather but what I do is keep them near a bright window and provide artificial light via a timer when the window isn't as bright as it could be. Generally early am and late pm.

o

Won't hurt but make a small cage to put over it and get it back outside full time.

o

I think it's not the light that would affect it but the difference in being indoors and outdoors.

Indoors - certain constant temperature, no wind, probably fairly constant humidity
Outdoors - temperature changes, wind, bugs (yummy but they could have negative effect also)

Once you have time, rigging up some protection for the plant from the squirrels may help the plant adjust and grow better (though we probably can't tell the difference in about 1-2 weeks time)

o

I took the advice of tommyr and found some construction fence laying around. Not the best looking but very effective and the plant is very active outside, even the smallest of the traps!

o

Main thing outside is to just get it off the ground

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here