Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is my VFT sunburned??

Posted by teamvortex Southern California (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 16:33

I was over at Lows the other day and saw a VFT figured I would give it a go. I read just about everything I could on them. I am giving it ONLY distilled water, good drainage, I dont over water it but at the same time I never let it dry out.

I gave it about 4 hours of sun to start for a few days and it seemed to just LOVE it. Almost the first day the leaves started turning from green to a DARK red and everything looked good.

So I figured it was time for full sun. It has been out in the sun for about 4 days now 2 of which were slightly over cast and we even got some light rain. (I live in Ventura California so its usally nice and warm)

At any rate I noticed a little dark discoloration on the NON mouth leaf part of the plant the other day but it was so small I figured I would just keep an eye on it.

Well I slept in today (due to me being up REALLY late) and was not able to check on the plant till noon today (so it already got a good amount of heat) to make a ALREADY long story short it did not look so good.

I took a couple pictures and I hope someone can let me know does this look like sun damage to the plant??.(pitures below) I took it out of the sun just to make sure, I will put it back in the sun a little later this afternoon when its not so hot.

http://www.clanvortex.com/pic/VFT 005.jpg
http://www.clanvortex.com/pic/VFT 007.jpg

Also just for the record I did not transplat nor did I add ANY kind of substance to soil and it has not been played with at all.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is my VFT sunburned??

I can't see your pictures but from your description I am confident that you plant is just adjusting. It is normal for some discoloration when you change the enviroment. Just wait for the leaves in the next few weeks. They will be robust and adjusted to your enviroment.

o

Sorry I fixed the pictures here they are:
http://www.clanvortex.com/pic/VFT_005.jpg
http://www.clanvortex.com/pic/VFT_007.jpg

and thank you for the reply that makes me feel better at least.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunburnt VFT

o

It looks just fine. Put it in a shallow tray with an inch of water in it and place in direct Sun. Then leave it alone.

o

It looks good. The black and brown spots look like they are on the oldest leaves and that is normal for a VFT. The old leaves die off and new ones come from the center. If the center looks anything but red or green THEN you should worry.
tommyr is correct. Keep a tray of water under the pot to keep it from drying out and direct sun in CA. is best.

o

Yeah, they say you can't give a VFT too much sun. I have heard that they often do best with up to 16 hours a day! Anyway, keep giving it as much sun as possible. The more sun a VFT gets, the more energy it has to repair itself.

o

There are professionals growing them in the desert SW. The only way it can be too much sun is if it is going from inside to outside. So it's best to keep them in shade for several days before moving to full sun. These plants do react!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here