Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swamp_thing

cobra plant?

swamp_thing
17 years ago

I thought I posted a few days ago but I have try different places and cannot find my post so I'm doing this again? Does anyone know about the care of a cobra plant I live in Ohio and would like to get one can anyone help me out here with information and maybe an exchange of one?Thank you

Comments (7)

• bob123how
    17 years ago

I have no clue as I have never grown one before. That being said, I have heard that they are very finnicky plants. They enjoy bright light, but like to have their roots cool. Some growers even rig automatic drips in to fulfill this. This can be accomplished at home by watering it once or twice per day. Aside from this I think it is pretty much like other temperate CP's (moist medium, sitting in a inch of RO or rain water, no fertilizer etc.) I don't know where you can get one, but I'm sure there are vendors online, unless it is still in its dormancy, in which case, I don't know if they'll sell it to you.

• jonocross
    17 years ago

Hi there, I'm from Ohio too.

Ok, taking care of a cobra plant.

The soil type I personally use is 2 parts perlite 1 part peat.

Overhead watering has been working for me so far. I have mine in a tray, so each time I add water to the tray I add it directly onto the plants. I've heard that flushing out the pot once a week or so is a good idea.

They like full sun but if the roots get above 70 then the plant can die. One way to help keep the temp down is to add a layer of perlite on top of the soil to reduce the amount of heat gathered from the light. I also occasionally put an ice cube on the soil.

Water: distilled or reverse osmosis. Same applies to any ice cubes you use.

I'd say, they take a litle more attention but they're very pretty plants.

Well, everything I just said is on my web site if you want to take a look. As far as an easy place to find them, usually lowes gets them in those cubes of death, but you'll have to take them out of the cubes of course. (I'd recomend checking in on lowes about once a week, appearently, they order more cps when they run low.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I was once given simple guidance. Just repot from a Lowes cube into a pot that drains and have that pot rest atop another one that will hold water. The inner pot, with the plant is suspended inside the outer pot. Then just water a little bit every day and if the water in the outer pot gets too high - just drain it. They seem to do alright at a window sill. I mix sand and peat and topdress with LFS.

• ilbasso_74
    17 years ago

Hmm, haven't tried the perlite on top method but it makes sense.

I had one last summer that did just fine-it just didn't make it through the winter. It can be done though. I have a few now that are under lights in "rehab" (my closet) until the weather is warmer. There is no reason that they can't do just fine outside but heed the ice cube advice above. Distilled water ice cubes (or reverse osmosis) ONLY!! I have been known to keep a jug of the stuff in the fridge just for Cobras in the summer as well.

I have two that are still being weaned from their cubes of death and one that is thriving. I think that one was long fibered moss and perlite, but there could have been some peat in the bottom. For a long time, I forgot to top water it and it was fine but I do try to whenever I check on it.

However, I had another one that was doing wonderfully and in true cobra form, kicked the bucket for no apparent reason. I think that part of a root was poking above the moss and they are VERY unforgiving of mistakes.

Good luck!

• swamp_thing
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all so much for giving me so much information now I have to try to see if I can get one or maybe better someone may have some to share with me? The one's at Lowes how much were they? I do not drive so its hard for me to go places but I'm sure someone may share a start with me? Rita

• johnnyb
    17 years ago

I picked one up in the little plastic cubes at Lowe's in NE OH for $5...haven't seen any in the large $10 plastic cubes.

• swamp_thing
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did not seen any at lowe's my girlfriend went and said she looked and asked a clert but did not have done so I'm still not given up yet thank you all Rita

Sponsored