Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslieb123

Booming Nepenthes

leslieb123
16 years ago

I purchsed a Nepenthes (unknown variety) last year I think around fall....I felt so bad for it as it was sitting ont he ground in a hanging basket at Kroger's (grocery store) It had some large, dried up pitchers and I cut them off at the leaf as I had read that they would prob. be draining needed energy since they weren't really "functioning".....since then....it's gotten taller and taller, sprouted plenty of leaves, each of tipped with a bug of a pitcher and some now that are really starting to take shape...I guess I have a few questions about what I have done and what I shoudlld do to continue to care for it....

The plant get early morning though afternoon ligdirect lighting....with between 35%-48% humidity thoughout the day...temp. consistant in the 70's.

1)It wants to go up and out....but it's in a pot...how should care for it??I guess I'm afraid it's going to get top heavy.....(ps: office environment...my cats at home would eat it)

2)as the lower largest leaves had been trimmed of their dried up pitchers there are what appears to be 2 'main' plants and two 'babies'.....should all be allowed to make pitchers?

3) can they every have "too many"....to where the plant would strain because of energy being put into pitcher development? Should the "baby tips" be trimmed on the main or baby plants?

4) when "should" you trim back a nep. for health reasons, not just for "my-plant-is-growing-out-of-control"?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor