Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutant_hybrid

Dionaea X Drosera experiments

mutant_hybrid
17 years ago

I have read about Dionaea muscipula (Venus Flytraps) being hybridized out of genus with Drosera regia, seemingly the closest in evolutionary branching next to Alovandra. The results were viable seeds that germinated into weak plants that died rather quickly. All of this is second hand as I have not encountered any scientific research to back those claims, however; it sounds possible since Dionaea's closest analogue is the Drosera, both being Droseracea in Family. Drosera regia has 34 chromosomes, while Dionaea muscipula has 32.

Has anyone else tried to hybridize any other sundews with flytraps?

Some sundews actually do have 32 chromosomes (I think D. burmanii is one), however; ploidy (chromosome pairing) might be different between those and flytraps. Some sundews, like burmanii and spatulata, have what are called snap-tentacles along their outer leaf edges. These tentacles do not produce much if any dew and seem to be analogous to flytrap cilia for keeping insect prey in the leaf and scavengers from making off with the plants catch. The snap-tentacles bend at their bases rather quickly and do not turn inward to contact prey with their tips. Perhaps hybridizing some of these sundews with snap-tentacles with flytraps would produce a more viable plant.

I know that hybridizing out of genus is unlikely to take, but it would be fun to try. Maybe we would wind up with a Venus suntrap. In any event, flytraps are thought to be a mutation of the sundew by some. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida