Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trap waste removal?

Posted by Chompz 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 18:42

So my 2 plants are eating equally on the same pot and look healthier after making them outside only but that raises the question of do the carcasses of bugs effect the health of the plant if they are stuck in the trap? If so, what can be done to remove said waste if nature doesn't intervene?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trap waste removal?

They're just fine...

Just Let Them Be To Do Their Thing...
Some of the harder exoskeletons parts of insects wont dissolve 100% in the traps...

Just part of nature
it's all good
Just let them be

That's If I Understand Your Question Correctly

PEACE...

o

Yup, leave things alone! Nature knows what she is doing.

o

If they are outside, the wind or rain will eventually remove them (And on that note, I guess you could lightly blow on the leaf, without triggering the closing, and see if it helps move the carcass)

o

It's perfectly fine to just leave them as they are. It won't affect them one bit. But if you wanna remove them for aesthetic reasons, there is a way to do it without inadvertently triggering the traps. One trick I've learned is to use a spray bottle full of distilled/rainwater. Adjust the nozzle so it sprays a fine mist and spray the trap really good. Give it a few minutes to loosen the bug from the trap, and then spray again to kind of wash the dead bug out, just like the rain would do for it out in the wild. It's not 100% foolproof, but it does work for me almost every single time. I do this right as the trap begins opening back up, before its had time to reset. To minimize the risk of it snapping shut. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here