Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nepenthes and ants

Posted by leonardocorn_8 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 19:07

I just got a nepenthes plant and didn't have a place to hang it so i set it down till i could find one. I came to see the plant one morning and it was covered with ants. They were falling into the plant but i was concerned they might have been damaging the plant or maybe the plant was being overfed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nepenthes and ants

Plant can't get overfed. And I doubt the ants are damaging the plant. Ants are usually the normal prey for neps, usually ants are attracted by the sugary substance that exude from the plant's peristome & underneath the hood.

o

Actually ants are one of the top foods for a nepenthes. Nepenthes secrete a sweet smelling nectar that has some sort of a chemical in it that makes the ants drunk like. That causes them to fall into the trap. I would let the ants do their thing but here is a couple things to keep an eye out for.

*Ants are known to farm Aphids and other bad critters for their honey dew. If you see green, clear, or black bugs on the plant. Move the plant and treat it with a safe insecticide.

*Because the plants are eating natural food but not growing in their natural habitat keep and eye out for fungus growing in the traps. If you see any fungus or mold cut the trap off. Also rid the plant of any brown dieing traps.

*Try not to keep the soil water logged. Moist but not too wet. Nepenthes are pretty susceptible to root rot.

*At the end of the growing season all of your outdoor non-dormant variant plants should be secluded and quarantined from your other CP's. This insures that if the plants are sick or have bugs you can easily treat them with out causing havoc on the rest of your collection.

o

thanks, I was just worried cause the ants were everywhere. Also, the ants were fire ant, so will the venom from the ants harm the plant?

o

The venom in fire ants is there to harm things with a nervous system. Plants do not have that so I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye out for bugs that eat plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here