Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunterkiller03

Venus flytrap flowers

hunterkiller03
10 years ago

The little flowers of my Venus flytraps. I have long stopped cutting them & let them bloom ever since I felt I have the experience to grow these plants. The most that happens is it may produce a couple of slightly smaller traps. Other then that, they are just fine. The flower are not spectacular like the flowers of a Sarracenia, but still they're nice to look at.

I promised my seed to my nephews that want to take them to school for a project of theirs.

Definitely I would not recommend for the novice to let their Venus flytraps bloom, since their plants may be stressed out & allowing them to bloom can be detrimental to the plants health. Producing a foot long stalk & then making the seeds does take a lot of energy reserves from the plant.

Comments (13)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Nice, you're ahead of me weather wise. Some of mine are just throwing up the flower spikes. As are my Sarracenias. Still a bit cool here but at least it's been getting into the upper 60's/low 70's!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

So my Venus flytrap dente are just. Shooting up there flowers stalk, are you sing i should prune back the flower bulb to Enhance the growth the traps instead off the flowers?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Is your plant healthy? If so it's no problem letting it flower. If not cut it off.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

He looks okay but recently I've been noticing the lower traps turning yellow and sum brown spots, anything to worry about?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Looks fine but take it out of that wrapping and remember these are not indoor plants.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I put them in the wrapping inside so the massive spider who tries to eat my plants doesn't kill it, and because it keeps it somewhat warm on coldnights, It's way to child inn MA to put him on the sun porch at the moment waiting for Sunny days and less cold rainy ones

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I didn't know spiders ate plants.

Don B.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Neither did i, until i found this friggen thing webbing up my plants and there's is mysterious little gnawing marks on my plant leaves...hmmmm starting to think something weird is going on

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

"All spiders are predators. They do not eat plants, but only other living animals. Insects, spiders, invertebrates, some small vertebrates are the typical prey items."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_any_spiders_eat_plants

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

lol really, that was kinda a joke there.....
    just saying he's webbing up my plants and its attracting bugs to come in for a little snack of course the spider isn't literally eating my plants, but he is webbing them up as if they were bugs for whatever reason?? I don't think he likes that ive been stealing his flies to feed to my VFT, could this be war!

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I've had flytraps for years... If you give them strong light the flower stalks dnt affect a thing size wise. I went around and checked mine yesterday... My Clumping cv, yellow cluster and other special cultivars are all flowering and I dont see signs of traps being too small. I'm actually about to attempt a Clumping cv x Yellow cross if I get lucky and get the right sexes.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

That's so cool! How do you cross breed these plants? I dont think i could do it but ive always wanted to know how it was done

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Ha. Firstly, it requires luck- you need a male flower and female flower to open at the same time. Then have to transfer pollen from male to female stamen. This is very hard to do and I am yet to figure out how to tell the difference between the two. The flowers all look identical to me. :P Then it's a matter of how to actually collect the pollen cause its teeny tiny little bitty. Then you have to track which ones you germinated cause it's easy to forget.

Sponsored