S. Flava & N. Ventrata

carnivorousplants
15 years ago

Hi,

I've been buying alot of cp's since spring is arriving and

today I bought a S. Flava and N. Ventrata on ebay from a

seller named 'miacps' which is a great seller since I bought

a sundew from her a few months ago and it arrived in wonder-

full condition.I should get them by thursday or wednesday.

If anybody has any tips about dormancy for them or pics I

would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adrian

Comments (4)

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

N. X ventrata is an easy hybrid to grow; it is a tropical plant so it doesn't require a dormancy period like the American pitcher plants. Nepenthes grow year round as long as their growing condition are met.

Sarracenias enter into dormancy when the photoperiods starts to lower and temperatures go down at the begging or end of autumn. The first sign that the Sarracenia are entering dormancy is that it simply stops producing new leaves and the growing tip becomes compact. The old pitchers start to loose their color and will develop dead spots and its edges curled and browning. Sarracenia flava, alata, leucophylla, and oreophila will sometimes produce a couple of sword-shape leaves called phyllodia. That's normal.

Sometimes, depending where you live and the species of the Sarracenia, like S. purpurea, will keep its pitchers but it will be too damage by the next growing season.

If you are not planning to grow them in a bog garden and only want to have them growing in pots. To store your dormant Sarracenias, most people simply place the plants in a cool room and maintain their soil moist just enough to keep the rhizomes from drying out. While others, simply snip the old leaves off and place them in the fridge if they live in a warm climate. Wrapping the rhizomes with moist moss to keep them from drying out.

Still some few people risks just keeping their dormant plants covered in snow out in their yards, Sarracenia Northwest once posted pics of their yard of Sarracenia covered with snow. But it is best not to do that to Southern growing Sarracenias like S. flava, S. leucophylla, S. minor, and S. purpurea ssp. venosa.

Where I live in Arizona, it used to gets cold enough that I simply snip the old leaves and simply place a shade-clothe over the greenhouse. But this past winter, the winter was too short and not quite cold enough and I wasn't paying attention so they didn't get a proper dormancy. Only one S. flava and two of my rubras flowered this year.

Well, here are some of my pics:

This is S. flava var. rugelii or "Splotch Throat". Although it doesn't have the splotch, yet.
    {{gwi:551161}}

S. flava var. "Copper Top"
    {{gwi:549886}}

S. flava var ornate or "Heavy Veined"
    {{gwi:551163}}

My ventrata is barely making 3-inch urns.
    {{gwi:551165}}

I had S. flava "Red Tube" but unfortunately it became the victim of rats, they also destroyed my S. alata "Red Throat" and damaged three of my rubras. Damn pests!

Well, the trick is simply keep them in a cool place and the photoperiod low, and make sure that the media its growing on is moist enough to keep the rhizomes from drying out. Hope this helps and happy growing.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

My sarrs (and VFTs) get unpotted in the fall, roots get cleaned off, pitchers cut off and go into zip lock bags then into the fridge. They survive just fine at 40 degrees F. They've been out since around Valentine's day and have flowered and are growing their starter pitchers right now.

Tom

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies,
    And huntkiller, sorry about the Sarracenia you lost, I know how rare those 2 are.
    And your ventrata looks muck more like a ventricosa. I don't see any alata in it.

Thanks,
    Adrian

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello all cp growers,
    My plants arrived today!
    They arrived in awesome condition and he even sent me a bonus!The bonus was a packet of D.Indica 'Pink flower form' seeds.
    I potted them up and I'll see if I can post pics.

- Adrian

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!