Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luzsmiles

My Venus Fly Trap is dying. :/

luzsmiles
11 years ago

Hello everyone,
I'm totally new to growing plants and I really need help. So I had bought a Venus Fly trap at a museum and took it home with me. I put the pot in a little cup of water (filtered water because I didn't know it was not distilled) as it told me to and put it in my living room where it would get some sunlight. However, I had to head back to San Diego for school and couldn't take my plant back this time. I went back a week later, and it looked like this. The soil feels moist. And I was wondering if I would need to put new soil or if I just start watering distilled water and putting it in the sunlight if it would revive. I live in a dorm so my plant would be indoors at all times.
So if anyone could give me any tips on how to revive it I would deeply appreciate it!

Comments (10)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Throw it out and start over. First mistake is using filtered water. Second mistake keeping it inside. Get a new HEALTHY one but in the meantime Google Venus Flytrap care.

• Morpheus119
    11 years ago

I'm fairly new to this also but I don't think you should throw it out. I've talked to a lot of people and they say these plants are very tough. If I was you I would remove the plant from its current media and repot in long-fibered sphagnum, peat moss, peat-perlight, or a mix of all three and water with distilled or rainwater. It might pull through or it might not. The new growth suggests its not completely dead so it's worth a shot.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

It also looks saveable to me.
    My advice would be to repot.
    I keep my Venus fly traps in pure sphagnum. Home Depot carries a bag for$5.
    For aesthetic reasons, and practicality, I like to keep my carnivorous plants in clear glass containers.
    I've found that those small clear $4 fish bowls from Michaels make great containers.
    It allows me to check the moisture levels at all times at a glance.
    But it's not needed.
    I personally use RODI water from a local fish store. but whatever you use make sure it's pure.
    I water when the moss is damp but not dry.
    Every month I drop about 3 pillbugs in each container and let them crawl into a random trap.
    Lastly is light.
    Fly traps like a lot of light.
    I keep mine in full sun outside. They get 8 hours of direct sun.
    So put them in the brightest spot available, and get a light.
    I personally use the Jansjo desk reading lamp from Ikea.
    it costs $8 and has worked for a variety of my growing needs.
    a desk lamp with the right bulb works just as well.

anything else.... hmm... brightest spot, media, watering... Ooh. And I'm sure you know but they need a winter rest.

• KaitlynnPaige
    10 years ago

My Venus flytrap is coming out of dormancy and I was wondering how much water I am supposted to be giving it, if there is a limit for when they first start coming out of dormancy. Also before it went into dormancy it started growing a flower stalk and I cut it off then it did it again and I cut it off and it went dormant now it is trying to come out and I have cut 3 more flowerstalks off! What is going on, it still looks sluggish and will not stop trying to produce flowers. Any advice? Thank you!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Keep it in a shallow tray of distilled water or rainwater. If the plant is weak looking just keep cutting off the flower stalks. Slowly accustom it to full Sun OUTDOORS.

• elishaw_ca
    9 years ago

distilled water is pure water. check on internet to find out. you can also use rain water

• purslanegarden
    9 years ago

I think it's also saveable. However, that potting media looks pretty gross. I'm not even sure what it is. You may have overwatered the first time or it was just some really absorbent material. You'll definitely want to repot it and feel free to cut off the black leaves or traps.

As for distilled water, since you have just a small cup/pot, you'll just need a little water, so buying a 1-gallon container of distilled water for under $1 (hopefully in your area) should last you a long time. Just mark it clearly so that you or your roommates don't drink it. It's safe to drink but then it just means you have to go get more.

• HU-758924096
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

first of all if your new to plants don't but a Venus fly trap because they are extremely hard to look after that is why you rarely see them in plant nursery's, secondly your plant needs sun at all times if you live in a dorm don't own it then. thirdly you never researched how to look after them. otherwise you would know how to. they need food (flies) and rain water not filtered water from a SINK! and if you did research them you'd know what the colours mean, that the roots have growing issues and you DO!! need to replace the soil and transfer them. NEXT TIME CHOOSE AN EASIER PLANT FOR A BEGIINER!!

• Veronica Pennachi
    last year

Its not dead its dormant thats what it does :/

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus