Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
invertaman

Small Nepenthes Rafflesiana

invertaman
18 years ago

I have two very small Nepenthes Rafflesiana from cobraplant.com they arrived fine and in perfect condition. Except that the pitchers are very small, comepletly green and seem to come strait off the leaves....is there something wrong with them they do seem to be in perfect health pitchers on all of the leafs. i am a first time nepenthes owner so im sorry if i sound ignorant.

Comments (13)

• bid2win
    18 years ago

Your description is typical of young plants. Do not be surprised if you lose those pitchers fairly soon as the plant will need to adapt to its new growing conditions.

• invertaman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

so the those pitchers are normal? i have them in a 10 gallon terrarium. am i supposed to mist them?

• back2eight
    18 years ago

AS the plant matures your pitchers will get larger. It sounds perfectly normal to me. You may have a drop in any new growth at all for a little while as it takes time to get over shipping shock. Just make sure it is getting good light, and I wouldn't worry too much about misting. It won't hurt it, but I would worry more about getting plenty of light. If the terrarium is enclosed then it is probably humid enough. Otherwise, mist away!

• invertaman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the terrarium has a screen lid but the lights cover 4/5 of the lid.
    i purchase this speices because i read that lowlanders are easiest to grow, but after further reading it seems highlanders are easier to grow. i wish i had purchased the highlanders.........

• back2eight
    18 years ago

I would think the lowlanders would be easier, since the highlanders are used to getting cooler temps at night than I can provide. Don't get discouraged. They are very slow growers. As stated above, the small green pitchers are normal for a very young plant. It will take years to mature and start growing bigger pitchers.

• invertaman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So they will have those small green pitchers for years!?

• back2eight
    18 years ago

Probably so. They are worth it when the time comes, but it just takes so long. My camera is out of batteries or I would take a picture of one of mine. Well, three of mine that I have had for six months now and to me they don't really look any different than when I got them. VERY slow growth. I guess it is possible to buy mature plants but they don't ship them that big, you would have to be fortunate enough to live close to a nursery that sells them. And you will pay out the wazoo for it.

• spycspider
    18 years ago

Hey,

I know exactly how you feel. I just bought the same exact plant from Cobraplants.com and even though it looks really healthy and is sending out new cutsey pitchers, I understand the frustration knowing that you'd have to wait a while before the plants get big and showy like all those other nepenthes pictures you see. Sucks, eh?

patience, patience, patience

• spycspider
    18 years ago

oh and I also have them in a 10 gallon terrarium. I actually have both a Rafflesiana and sanguinea in there, about 3 inches away from 100 watt equivalent compact fluorescents. I mist them every nite with distilled water. We'll see how it goes

• back2eight
    18 years ago

that sounds good for them, spycspider.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

they do lose pitchers after you just get them then? i have a few that lost all the mature pitchers and i was pretty worried.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

i bought a rafflesiana from cobraplants in late september. The plant itself is very small, and in three days after i got it, it's only pitcher and one leaf shriveled up. So far it hasn't grown one bit in over a month, probably still in shock.

So yes nepenthes_ceasar, the plants can lose there's pitchers from the stress of being in a dark humid box for several days.

Anyone have a picture of a large rafflesiana in a pot?(the plant, not just the pitchers)

• breeindy
    16 years ago

I bought a rafflesiana through the post and its hanging on my windowsill doing fine even growing a new pitcher aready.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus