Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutant_hybrid

D. spatulata flower scapes dying

mutant_hybrid
17 years ago

Greetings all,

I have a clump of Drosera spatulata that are sending up numerous flower scapes, however; some are beginning to die back.

The plants recently (about 3 months ago) underwent repotting into new mix and had root damage 4 months ago. They are watered with distilled water and the plants themselves look healthy (having regrown 3 inch roots before repotting), growing new leaves constantly and producing normal dew, capturing plenty of insects. They get 16 hours of light from four 40 watt flourescent tubes and the plants are about 5-6 inches from the lights with the flower buds getting to about 1-2 inches from the lights. Heat level seems minimal near the lights, probably 80 degrees max.

Picture of dying flower buds.

{{gwi:551197}}

Picture of healthy flower buds remaining.

{{gwi:551198}}

I was hoping to get some seed from them, but now, with the flowers dying off before opening, I guess not. anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing flower dieback before opening in the conditions I described. The only thing I can think of is that the previous root damage and repotting interrupted their cycle and the plants have decided not to waste energy on flowering right now.

Thanks in advance for advice and ideas.

Comments (2)