Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain Water / roof runoff

Posted by gallagher118 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 20:13

I've been doing CPs for just over a year, and I've had pretty good success.

However, in that time I thought I would just collect rain water and use that from time to time. (I'm in florida) What's happened is 2 of my pitcher plant seem to have died. (I have not given up on them, but given they should be going again it's looking grim)

My venus's are doing fine. My other 3 pitcher plants are good, except maybe the one, which is doing fine but has brown blisterlike spots.

So... I'm half convinced it was the runoff water from my roof that's done the damage. I'm back to strickly distilled water, or water that's fallen directly into a collector. (I have a few extra big planters)

What is everyone's advice on runoff water? Avoid? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain Water / roof runoff

I've been using my roof run off water for years for CPs, no problems at all.

o

There are two contamination sources I can think of. First one is your water may have salt in it, if you live near the coast. The second is that your roof may have been treated with chemical.
But the thing that gets me is that if you use the same water with all of your CP and your VFT is okay but your Nepenthes is dead. There are maybe more to it than just water because Nepenthes is most forgiving when it deal with watering comparing to other CP plants

o

Should have been more clear, the pitchers are not Nepenthes, they are different kinds of Sarracenia.

o

Yeah, I think it is your water. What I think happen is that the impurity sink to the bottom of your container. It store in the lower part of your media. Sarracenia roots are about 3 times longer that VFT for that it took the hit sooner than the VFT.
I think you should remove the VFT from your media and start water them with bottle water instead.
You may want you look in to reverse osmosis systems

o

Do NOT use bottled water unless it says DISTILLED on the label.

o

chill out dude as long as PPM is lower than 100.
Get a TDS meter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here