Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Squirrels and my VFT

christy2828
16 years ago

I successfully made my VFT go dormant, successfully brought it out of dormancy, and successfully repotted it and put it outside. Now a flipping squirrel keeps partially uprooting my VFT. Other plants of mine have mulch or rocks to cover the dirt, seems to deter them fairly well. Can I put a screen and cut out a hole for the plant? Does anyone have a good way of deterring squirrels from digging up their VFT's???? Thanks :) Christy

Comments (10)

• saturniidaebreeder
    16 years ago

NEver heard of squirrels doing that, but you can try a screen but the squirrel will most likely find a way past it. Got a dog, thats how I keep squirrel problems to the minimum, along with throwing rocks if I have the chance, if you do,they will run when they see you.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I have a Jack Russel who lives to hunt. She does a good job, but she has to sleep some time. I also scare squirrels off any chance I get, they also eat my bulbs and uproot other plants. When my toddler sees a squirrel she yells and bangs on the door, because she's seen me do it. Been there and tried that. I imagine the screen would work, but would it affect the growth of the plant??? I hate those f***** squirrels!!!! Christy :)

• jackmonday
    16 years ago

yeah i had a group of 6 or so vfts actually dug and ate by ground squirrels. I'd never have known it was them if i didnt see it, pests also ate a dwarf banana. I couldnt come up with anything...maybe rat traps

• don555
    16 years ago

I haven't had a problem from squirrels, but I did from birds -- robins were tearing out the moss from my flytraps and uprooting the bulbs. Not sure if they were after the water or what.

I grow my flytraps in an open aquarium, so I just made a chicken-wire cover, which nicely solved the problem. The wire keeps the birds out, but insects have no trouble getting to the flytraps where they become plant food. I use 2 inch-hole chickenwire, which does fine for robins, but you would probably have to use 1 inch or finer to keep squirrels out.

Not the greatest photo, but here's what I use:
    {{gwi:551209}}

• christy2828
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the idea, Don. My DH is on his way to Lowe's right now. Those squirrels got it again today :( Christy

• ltecato
    16 years ago

I had a problem with a dog pooping in my rock garden until I bought some finely ground hot red pepper and dusted the ground with it. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

Some critters got into my vfts last summer at night, just dug them up and made a mess of everything. I suspect it was possums.

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

It was suggested to me that I sprinkle cayenne pepper over the soil as well. Supposedly it would keep critters out, but I don't think that it really did. My squirrels must have acquired a taste for the spicy.

I ended up building a large garden structure in my yard to keep critters out of the CP pots and the veggies. A determine squirrel can get it, but it is rare.

I also invested in some traps and frequently relocate squirrels and chipmunks during the summer.

Some sort of barrier is probably the best solution.

• anthro_2008
    16 years ago

a fews years back i had a butterwort that was growing really well in a tray of water un til my rabbit ate it :( (hint: rabbit + CPs = tasty lunch)

• christy2828
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is what my husband made to deter those squirrels.

{{gwi:551211}}

I usually use some sort of ground cover to keep the squirrels out, and that works pretty well. I read somewhere that they like to dig in fresh dirt. But I didn't know what kind of mulch/rocks would work with the VFT so I left it without any ground cover. Those squirrels dug it up every day; this should keep them out!!!! Christy :)

• the_mikado
    15 years ago

Best solution...let's develop some CP that eat squirrels...

Sponsored