Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepenthes 'plumbing'

Posted by apg4 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 21:42

I've had a neps for several years (alata, I think....) and it is doing just fine. It winters in a greenhouse that stays above 50F and the plant and never really went dormant last fall/winter. It's growing luxuriantly now and producing numerous pitchers as well.

The question is an esoteric one: can the plant 'recycle' or make use of the fluid in the pitchers in a time of drought? Can the fluid flow be bi-directional? I'm sure there are occasional droughts, even high up in their native, rain forest environment. Having such reservoirs or built-in 'canteens' would be a remarkable genetic adaptation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes 'plumbing'

Hi
Interesting ?? Would suppose the reason that there are so many species is that each has adapted to a narrow micro-climate ?? Certainly works that way with temp tolerance. Certainly don't see the extreme adaptations you see in other epiphytic plants such as orchids or epicactus where the leaves are modified to store water
maybe some really wise person will jump in and give us an answer?? lol gary

o
RE: Nepenthes 'plumbing'

Thanks for the reply...I'm thinking that maybe the carnivorous aspect of nepenthes and other arborial pitcher species is secondary. Water retention was originally the primary purpose and having a free lunch was just secondary, evolving over time to become primary. Many bromeliads store water and that becomes a nice 'insect soup' that the plant can harvest when need be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here