Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angolita

Please indentify a Tropical Pitcher Plant from Lowe's

angolita
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I bought a Tropical Pitcher Plant from Lowe's Home Improvement Store in Georgia and need help identifying it? Can anyone help?I also am giving a link to a picture of the plant.

Thanks,Angolita

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Pitcher Plant

Comments (13)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Most likely a Lowland variety, For me it's hard to tell from the photo, maybe a better photo of the pitcher would help us.

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Was it in a transparent plastic cube? If so, it is probably N. ventricosa.

It seems to be a big greenish, if it is ventricosa. What kind of sunlight is it getting?

{{gwi:551713}}

This one's under grow lights and fed bloodworms to get it nice and big. It has an even bigger pitcher now but I haven't got a picture of it. It's about 1.5 times the size of the one in that photo.

• angolita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes,the pitcher plant was growing in a transparent cube. It has a little burgundy color on the lid part. I just bought the plant a couple of days ago. Right now, its sitting on my front porch, I think you're not supposed to give it direct sun,right?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Bright indirect Sun, a little very early or late afternoon sun is ok however.

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Most Carnivorous Plants are sun lovers, but some, like these, grow in shade. Too much sun will probably kill them.

The one I took a picture of is under some lights next to a windowsill, getting the same light power as roughly an overcast day. For a long while I was growing it in a bright windowsill. I'm not sure if the increased size is due to the light or due to the bloodworms I have been feeding it. ;)

Was that trap that has a little burgundy now there when you got it? I'd be worried if new traps come up green, myself.

• angolita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the identification, I think my plant is Nepenthes ventricosa.According to Rare Seed Source young pitchers on the N. ventricosa are greenish until they mature later on and turn redder. Thanks guys for helping a Nepenthes plant newbie out! Now, I'll be on my way to checking the care instructions for this little plant on the web.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Other possibilities:

{{gwi:546278}}N. sanguinea

{{gwi:550650}}N. Judith Finn

{{gwi:547541}}N. ventrata

• angolita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks petiolaris, the more I look at the Nepenthes plant I think it could be N. sanguinea or N. Judith Finn. It has an all green color to the pitcher including the lid. So, I might be leaning towards N. sanguinea. I can't take any more pictures right now of the plant though for better i.d. because I repotted the plant and the pitchers are browning.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Unfortunately, Neps do react and can pout for a few weeks. Give it time to right itself but don't do anything drastic.

• mcantrell
    14 years ago

I keep wondering if my plant is a N. ventrata instead of N. ventricosa. It certainly looks more like ventrata to my untrained eye.

But then again, some of it's new pitchers have something not dissimilar to a spiked dog collar around the rim of the new, mature, pitchers. So who knows?

• hunterkiller03
    14 years ago

Some neps are easier to identify right off the bat even if they developing 2'' inch urns. Like my N. madascariensis and N. sanguinea, plants from the wholesaler Gublar Orchids sold at Home Depot.

But my nep I bought from Lowes last year, it was a whole different matter. The plant was inside the infamous "cubes of death". As it grew from a 3'' rosette to a 6'' rosette. I wondered whether in the mean time if it was really a ventrata since the traps began to elongate, but a few months back. It began to develop urn tubbier at the bottom but still it look tubular the upper half like an alata, but like the N. ventricosa ÂredÂ, it had spots. Basically looking a lot like mcantrellÂs pic of his nep.

Well, IÂm now more convinced it is a ventricosa. It developed an urn tubbier at the bottom, constricted midway then bulging again just below the entrance of the trap.

Sometimes its fun researching & waiting for your plants to develop enough to learn what species it is.

Hope you post pics of your own nep angolita.

Happy growing!

• angolita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again, so I guess the best way to identify the Nepenthes plant is to wait and see. When its older it develops more characteristics of what it will be.All these pictures of different neps and the information have been wonderful,greatly appreciated.

• bugeater4
    14 years ago

I think its a Sanguinea.