Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutterpup

New VFT

cutterpup
16 years ago

Hi all. I hadn't planned on getting a VFT yet,(not true actually,I had just ordered a red dragon off of ebay) BUT, the nursery I had placed a small order with in conjunction with my daughter-in-law sent it along with my new sundews since they are so small. It is a noid green and arrived with all traps closed. I planted it yesterday in the bog and carefully moved the LFS away from around it. This morning it still hadn't lifted all of it's leaves into the air but the traps have started to open. I hope that means it's setling in.

Judy

Comments (13)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Sounds like it may be a little weak at the moment. VFT's do like lots of light, more than most CP's. What kind of setup do you have? BTW, I wouldn't change its conditions until it has the opportunity to acclimate. What type of water are you using? They need distilled or deionized or RO or rain - but no tap or mineral water. Keep us posted.

• cutterpup
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It came bare-rooted and wrapped in LFS. I have a new whiskey barrel bog that was put in on Mother's Day. It is outside in bright sunlight (for six-eight hours a day). i have used a mixture of peat and sand for the bog, it is well watered and settled in. I had read that VFT do not like LFS around them and perfer slightly drier feet so I mounded up some of the peat and pulled the LFS away. That's where I planted the VFT. I raise orchids and am fanactical about using only rain water or distilled on all my plants. This morning it has raised one leaf up completely and a second is about halfway up.
    Judy

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Your setup is splendid! About LFS being a negative for VFT's,.... I don't know where you read that, but that is just the opposite of reality. They're indigeonous to growing media that has a layer of living LFS on top, followed by the decaying LFS (peat)and then sand. Live LFS is excellent cultivating material for most CP's. It has antisceptic qualities (from what I have read) and its texture allows for both drainage and pereservation for moisture. Not that you have to run right out and procure the live material, because the sand and peat is just fine, but don't feel that LFS is detrimental, especially the live LFS.

• cutterpup
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No problem, tomorrow I can go pout and put the LFS back onto that area of the bog, I just had pulled it aside from the VFT
    Judy

• purplemonkeydishwash
    16 years ago

what should i do if my traps have food in them but are going into dormancy??

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Wait for the traps to blacken and then snip that which is dead plant material.

• purplemonkeydishwash
    16 years ago

what is LFS?

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Long Fibered Sphagnum moss. Should be at any DIY.

• cutterpup
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay folks, this little guy came with three large leaves and lots of smaller ones curled up, I assume new growth. The three largest leaves have still not fully raised up but yesterday morning all three had open traps, yesterday afternoon one of the traps had closed, yesterday evening two of them had. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for it.
    Judy

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Sounds like the plant is acclimating and growing. Good job! Don't change a thing!

• cutterpup
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I look at the closed traps backlight you can see the outlines of bugs in the traps
    Judy

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

See... all is going well! And unlike many of our youngsters who go out of their way to see the action, the VFT's are pretty efficient by themselves.

• bob123how
    16 years ago

I learned early on that trying to feed a VFT a live bug almost always leads to heartbreak. Maybe I'm just inept, but nine times out of ten it results in an unproductive closure and a happy bug.

Although yesterday I saw it happen naturally and it was amazing. it was an actual fly this time, as opposed to the usual spider, mosquito, or night-time bug. Woohoo!

Sponsored