Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mukaketupat

Bleaching & Perking up sundew. Help!

mukaketupat
17 years ago

Hi guys.

Someone gave us a sundew (burmanii). Where it came from, it was sitting under a flourescent light and when we took it back home, we placed it under a flourescent light as well. Then we were away for a few days and placed the sundew outside in a pool of distilled water. Getting partial sun. And we came back to a perking up sundew with some bleaching leaves at the bottom.

Images here - http://pokok.gejala.org/2007/mukaketupat/cultivation/propagation/bangkok-blues/

This morning, its back under the flourescent light. Is this normal? Should i worry?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: images here.

Comments (5)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

It isn't unusual for a plant to react to a significant change in its conditions, resulting in the loss of dew for a sundew or the general dying of leaves. I've learned to look for and at new growth to determine how the plant is doing. So long as it hasn't died and is producing new foliage, things are on the up and up. I would also refrain from changing its location or temp or humdity, so it has a chance to acclimate.

• mukaketupat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks so much. now it is immerse in water. notice aphids on the sphagnum and crawling all over the stem. :(

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hi mukaketupat,

Your D. burmanii looks fine. As long as it is making dew on it's tentacles and making new leaves, it is in good health. The bottom leaves will die back anyways, so they are no loss. The small sundews in rosettes often grow new leaves every few days and old leaves die rather quickly. Make sure you collect seeds when it flowers as it will not live long... only a couple of years.

The D. intermedia seedlings look great. At first some of the leaves might not make tentacles or look a little deformed. That is normal. As they grow larger and stronger, they will begin to look much better.

Maybe you can just use the aphids as sundew food. Pick any of the aphids up with a toothpick or small, soft paintbrush dipped in the sundews dew. The aphids will get stuck on the brush or toothpick and you can then try to place them lightly in the sundew leaf. You can also just spray them with pyrethrines just to make sure, or place the entire plant underwater for 24 hours to drown the aphids. The plant will be ok, it will just have to make more dew after it comes out of the water.

• mukaketupat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

petiolaris,
    thanks for the advice.

mutant hybrid,
    hi again. yes, some of the aphids got stuck on the dew. yucks. last night, i immersed the red venus fly trap and the burmanii in water. they look fine when i checked on them this morning and saw many aphids floating in the water. and saw small ones swimming around. eeks! will get them out of the water tonight. hopefully this will work.

i did try to look for the pesticides that you mentioned but couldn't find one that is soap free. i got a soap based pesticide for my lipstick plant. i'm anxious to use any chemicals on my CPs. and yea, i have faith in them, so will pray that they will be ok.

thanks so much.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

My experience with aphids has been exclusively on sundews that I had outside - D. capensis, spatulata, and adelae. In all cases I placed the affected pots in a deeper and wider plastic container and overfilled with water, for anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks (talk about overkill!). Apparently, 2 days was sufficient in drowning the aphids, never to reappear. The plants looked like "drowned rats" for a week or so thereafter, but they all recovered. I've never HAD TO use pesticides, thankfully.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services