Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where should i buy nepenthes and pings?

Posted by elvinwei indoors, Nor Cal (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 1:59

hi, i one of those orchid people that became facinated by CPs
i live in Oakland CA (near SF) and would like to get a few CPs to start, but the homedepot and lowes out here does not have nepenthes or pings! :<
and i really need a ping because i have a spring time gnat bloom going on. DIE GNATS!

who is a good vendor around my area? or who is a good online vendor that is affordable and reliable?
i would like to get the Mexican ping and any of the nepenthes that are reddish and medium sized, so nothing out of the ordinary.

thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where should i buy nepenthes and pings?

Hello elvinwei,

Sarracenia Northwest sells those plants and ships very quickly and reliably. They also pack their plants very well. None of the plants I received from them suffered any damage or died back, they just continued growing like nothing had happened.

Pinguiculas are good gnat catchers, but so are sundews. My Drosera capensis and Drosera adelae are competing to see which can eat the most gnats, it looks pretty even now though there are over 35 adelaes growing in one pot to the one lonely capensis. I would say the capensis wins since it is solo and catching almost as many as all the other sundews combined.

Drosera adelae grown under 12000 lumens develops red coloring on leaves as well as tentacles.

The great gnat (not to mention everything else) catcher, Drosera capensis, soon to produce hundreds of seeds.

If you want a nice red colored Nepenthes that is an easy, adaptable plant, I suggest a sanguinea.

o

....or... a hobbyist can send you starter plants for no more than the cost of shipping ($4.60)

o

i would love it if a hobbyist would send me a ping and an n. sanguinea

o

• Posted by twotut N.Ca.foothills (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 18:10

I just purchases a Pinguicula agnata red leaf from Cascade Carnivors up in New Castle, Washington and it is beautiful!
Their inventory of Pings is fantastic and the price is reasonable,$10.00. Alot of what they have I haven't been able to find any where else. I shouldn't but I may be going back for more...These Pings are gorgeous and in very good health! Good Growing!
www.CascadeCarnivors.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here