Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CP Bog: run-of or groundwater from drainage introduce +nutrients?

Posted by njbiology Zone 7/6b%3B N (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 2:07

Hi,

I'm working on creating a small garden for cranberries, sundews, and purple pitcher plants.

I just dug a 4' x 5' x 2' deep hole in my yard (full-sun) and placed into the hole a 45 mil. epdm rubber liner. Then I filled it with peat and construction sand. I did not perforate the rubber liner as some have recommended for drainage.

1. I'm concerned that if I don't keep the lip of the liner's edge above the surrounding ground-level, rain run-off entering into the "bog garden" will bring with it a significant amount of accumulating nutrients over time.

2. Due to rock in the ground, when it rains heavily, the soil in the yard retains groundwater. If I were to perforate the liner, I suppose the nutrient-rich ground water would enter into the bog and, as I understand, purple pitcher plants will not thrive when the bog garden contains nutrients; yet from what I've seen in nature, they thrive on the edge of acidic ponds (which must have a good amount of nutrients.

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CP Bog: run-of or groundwater from drainage introduce +nutrie

Did you have a question?

o
RE: CP Bog: run-of or groundwater from drainage introduce +nutrie

Steve,
Keep the liner ABOVE ground. No drain holes if sunk in ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here