Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmach_gw

Question about repotting VFTs and types of saucers to set them in

jmach
15 years ago

Hi, I've got a couple of questions, first pertaining to repotting a flytrap.

I've just taken my flytrap out of dormancy (late, I know), and I want to repot it. My first question is in regards to the repotting medium.

I'm not sure what it's currently in as it's been in that same soil since I bought it at the store (you may be able to tell from the picture below) - but the soil I bought (a bag for VFTs from Sarracenia Northwest) is not the same stuff. Do I need to try to get all of the soil off the roots before repotting or isn't it going to matter if there are a couple of different kinds of media on the plant?

My second question in regards to repotting is that my plant seems to have divided during dormancy:

{{gwi:552169}}

There are three distinct clusters of plants in the pot now - is it best to separate them and pot them in three different pots, or just repot it as-is like one big plant? I certainly don't want to destroy the roots on them.

Finally, I went to Wal Mart and I picked up two cheap plastic dishes (the super cheap $.30 ones), and I also picked up two glazed clay saucers.

I had read to not use unglazed clay pots because it could "contaminate" the water - these saucers are made in China, and they're glazed yellow: I would just like to know if they would be fine to use with my flytraps? I don't want lead or some other crap getting absorbed by my plants, but I'd like to use those if possible because they're smaller than the plastic ones.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (3)