Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mesopogi92

How do you keep a nepenthes from getting to leggy?

mesopogi92
12 years ago

I had my nepenthes for a year now and its doing great! I just dont want it to start getting to tall. I was thinking about re-potting it and putting the soil all the way to the top of the stem. Is that a good idea? Will my plant start to rot? One last question...Do nepenthes do well in dried long fiber sphagnum moss?

Here are some pics:

{{gwi:552319}}

{{gwi:552320}}

THANK YOU!!!

Comments (14)

• Hegory
    12 years ago

how long have you had this plant? and have you ever repotted it? As far as i know it should be fine if you repot it up to there, just make sure you put it in a bigger pot and give it the right soil. and when you say "dried" long fibered sphagnum do you mean just normal LFS or do you mean keeping the mix dry? because keeping the mix dry would be bad.

• mesopogi92
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had this plant for a year. This will be the first time i re-pot it. And im gonna keep the long fiber sphagnum moist.

• taz6122
    12 years ago

Apparently Hegory doesn't read very well. LFS will work but 50/50 sphagnum peat/perlite works better IMO because it's easier to wash it off rather than separating the LFS from the roots when repotting. You can pot it as deeply as you want and it will grow new roots from the stem. Nepenthes is a vine so that's the natural growth pattern and repotting has to be done every year or 2 unless you top the plant and even then it's best to change the media so minerals don't get a chance to build up. You can also top the plant and root the cutting. Try a search for further info on that. The search box toward the bottom of the page has the option to search just this forum. That is a healthy looking plant. Good luck!

• Hegory
    12 years ago

in case you weren't paying attention taz, I never recommended LFS as a potting mix, I just asked a question to the host of this posting. I personaly use a mixture of about one part pumice, one part Lfs and one part orchid bark.

• taz6122
    12 years ago

In case you weren't paying attention Hegory you asked
    how long have you had this plant?

and the very first sentence in this post says

I had my nepenthes for a year now and its doing great!

• mesopogi92
    Original Author
    12 years ago

where do you recommend i get sphagnum peat and perlite? and what brand? And i couldnt find anything on hoe to top a nepenthes. Can you explain it to me?

One more thing.. It gets to around the 95s in the summer here. Is full sun outside too much for it? Right now i have it under fluorescents.

• taz6122
    12 years ago

I have a lot of plants and I buy peat and perlite in bulk. Lowes or just about any big box store or nursery has bails of peat moss. Premier was the brand on the last 2 bails I bought. The name Turba or Tourbe is often on the package. Google "sphagnum peat moss lowes" for an example.
    Plain perlite without fertilizer may be a little harder to find. Nurseries carry it but you may have to visit several before finding the 100% perlite. The brand "Ferti-lome" comes to mind.

No do not place a nepenthes in full sun. Under a tree in a hanging basket would be perfect. 95 is not a big deal.

Here's the search results I got.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=root+cuttings+nepenthes&forum=carnivor&forum_name=Carnivorous+Plants

Pick any with the word "propagation" or "cutting" in the title. With a quick glance the 5th one titled "Nepenthes Propagation" has techniques and links to other websites explaining how to.

• mesopogi92
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THANK YOU!! So are you telling me shade is good for nepenthes?

• taz6122
    12 years ago

Indirect or dappled light. I guess shade is one way to put it!

• mesopogi92
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again!! For all the help!!!

• jmoore3274
    12 years ago

Why not prune it and get the cuttings to root so you have more plants? If you prune the mother plant it should send runners out and grow back in a month or so.

• taz6122
    12 years ago

You're welcome and good luck!

• mesopogi92
    Original Author
    12 years ago

its my only nepenthes and i dont want to risk losing it

• taz6122
    12 years ago

And that's a very good possibility unless you have beginners luck or experience in rooting the species and there's no guarantee it will strike or that the mother will send up a new growth point. IMO it's a bit like rooting a cactus. Definitely different than rooting a tomato or coleus. It could take up to 3 months to grow a decent root system and will be somewhat fragile the entire time.
    As far as the mother, backing off on water is also mandatory or it will also rot before growing IME.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994