Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My New "B52" Venus Flytrap

moonwolf_gw
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

My "B52" Venus Flytrap from California Carnivores arrived yesterday. It's outside, under a little covered wooden porch that's close to the house. It's still small, but I can see the difference in the size of the traps already! I will have to think of a name for it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (9)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Brad! Well it obvious that this forum is a dead as the flies caught by the Venus Fly Trap...lol

I wanted to say congrats! How will you care for them? Will you let them grow outside until the first frost and then let them stay dormant in a cold room? I kind of want to try this method.

Mike

• teisa
    10 years ago

Hey Brad!!

I too just bought a Venus Fly Trap. I came over to this Forum to see what was being posted... and Found You!!
    My trip to Florida I just bought my first H. Onychoides!! Is yours still alive? Ever bloom for you?

You may have to give me suggestions on growing the Fly trap.

-Teisa

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well hello to you both, Mike and Teisa! It's good to see you here!

Mike, I bought two more standard VFTs at Lowe's since purchasing my B52. All of them are doing splendidly. I am doing the exact method you described above. :-). When I grew them before, I did it this way and have had great success. I just set mine at the back door, which is very drafty in the winter, so they get some cold air as they set on the threshold.

Teisa, congrats on getting your new VFT and on your H. onychoides! No, sadly mine died a few months after I got it as a cutting. I would like to have it again, but I am running out of room for plants.

Here is a link for you on how to care for your VFTs and other carnivorous plants. While you're there, feel free to browse at what they have ;-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Carnivorous Plant Growing Tips

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Brad....Thanks a bunch! By the way. my Hoya are growing like weeds...
    I created a small bog area and I think I will work on getting some sort of insulation for them when fall comes. I love the trap you bought and what an informative site!

Teisa, thanks a lot too.:-)

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're welcome, Mike! Great to know about your Hoyas! Mine are doing very well, too. Lots of new growth and bella will be blooming for the first time very shortly. Glad you found the site informative! I hope your bog garden does well also :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Brad, congrats on the Bella!
    When you post a pic, I'll be there to see it in bloom. It has been a while since I have been there. Boy how fast time flies!

I have a few blooming now and a few with great color, maybe I should show a few.

I was just saying to someone how different I feel about rainy days now..I use to hate rainy days in the summer, but now I love them since I know it's the only water my bogs and plants love.lol

Thanks for everything and hopefully I will see you soon at the Hoya forum again.

MIke:-)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Hey Mike and Brad!

Good to see familiar people here! Brad I really appreciated the Website. That was just the info I needed and some beautiful varieties that Ive never seen.

Talk to you guys soon! Happy Hoya growing.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're both very welcome. I've been looking over their tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes) for a while now. I was interested in Nepenthes spathulata, but I only see hybrids of it for sale now on their site.

Happy Hoya Growing to you guys, too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ken2256
    10 years ago

Hey wolf, never tried the b52,s yet but they sound cool. i did rescue a standard fly trap at lowes a couple weeks ago,picked out the healthiest one and put it in the bog, its doing real well there. good luck on the b52, let me know how big them traps get when its older. thanks