Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Visited the Pine Barrens for the first time.

Posted by jmoore3274 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 12:51

For the last couple of years I have been wanting to visit the Pine Barrens in NJ to learn more about CP's and how they grow in the wild. I finally visited it yesterday.

While bored yesterday morning I called my father and asked if he would like to go on a road trip and tromp around in the woods. Not knowing what was in store he offered to drive (Thank fully his 4WD truck) and off to the Jersey Pine Barrens we went.

Two hours later we arrived armed with a trail map, GPS, lots of water and lots of motivation. Thankfully we had the GPS because most of the trails and roads were not labeled and were pretty rough.

I wasn't expecting much from the trip. My main goal was to familiarize my self with certain areas that looked promising. If I didn't find anything I would return at a later date and continue looking. I did bring an electronic PH meter, camera and a PPM meter so if I did run across CP's I can document their growing conditions to broaden my understanding of the plants needs.

We came across a patch of lakes that looked like a good spot to start. There was a lot of sphagnum growing and a couple of Drosera intermedia and rotundifolia and some flowering laurel.
_DSC5494
_DSC5481
_DSC5485
_DSC5489
_DSC5491
_DSC5466
I was pretty happy that I was able to find some CP's and I did some tests. The PH of a little bit of water that was squeezed out of the sphagnum read 4.71 and the PPM was between 0 and 2 but I'm not sure the PPM reading was correct because it would swing at times.

We spent a couple more hours looking around, ate some lunch returned and started off to the next area to explore. After finding lots of sphagnum, scaring bullfrogs and ducks, flicking ticks and cursing at Horse flies that kept biting. I finally found what I was looking for. A nice healthy colony of CP's and some flowering Utricularia.
_DSC5502
_DSC5510
_DSC5512
_DSC5513
_DSC5517
_DSC5518
_DSC5519
_DSC5520
_DSC5522
_DSC5524
_DSC5528
_DSC5529
_DSC5530
_DSC5531
_DSC5506
_DSC5507
_DSC5515
_DSC5516
Sadly I was not able to find any Sarracenia. Hopefully soon I will have the chance to return and continue my search. Does any one know what type of grass that is growing with the colony of Drosera towards the end of the photos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Visited the Pine Barrens for the first time.

Nice photos! Thanks!

o

Looks like sedges and maybe Sparganium or Typha.

o

I believe its a sedge. Does any one know where I can purchase some? Would look good planted with my outdoor CP's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here