Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byron_1

Tisssue Culturing Heliamphoras

byron_1
15 years ago

I have a Heliamphora Heterodoxa x Minor, and I would like to tissue culture it. But I really need help. I have no idea what part of the pitcher to use for that or how successful it can be to do it.

Hope you guys can help.

Comments (8)

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

I donâÂÂt think anyone here has taken the next step of propagating CP using Tissue Culture technics.

But hereâÂÂs a few site that may help you.
    www.world-of-carnivores.com/tissue_culture.html
    www.kitchenculturekit.com/index.htm
    www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/tc/tc.htm

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

http://www.une.edu.au/agss/hort/horticultural-science.php Has a good "do it yourself" thing on it, including a shopping list. Doesn't look like it'd be too hard outside of the sterilization stuff, and I've heard you could use a Microwave instead of a Pressure Cooker.

Definitely interesting...

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I have learned how to tissue culture. I already bought the kit.

However, I have no idea how to tissue culture the heliamphora. I mean I can not use the whole pitcher because it will be very difficult to wash it, and the tissue culture might end up being infected.

My guess would be to take one pitcher, cut it in half and wash it, disinfect it, then place the pieces into the tissue culture container container.

But I I do not know if the pitchers can be tissue culture or does it has to be seedling and seeds.

I need more information about this part.

So I am hoping someone here has tried that.

Hope you can help.

• corymbosa
    15 years ago

The mature pitcher itself is unlikely to contain much undifferentiated tissue. You'd need to sterilise and dissect the new shoots (crown) to get at the meristematic tissue. This of course means destroying the growth point. One of the major CP TC'ers in Australia uses floral bud meristem tissue. This has the benefit of using tissue that is held above the potting mix so sterilisation of the tissue is usually more successful.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does any one knows a good way to sterilize Venus Flytrap leaves for TC? My first TC with them went bad. I am now left with four that have not gotten fungi after four days. However, I may loose those too. I can only wait and hope they do not get infected.

I used a 10% Bleach solution. Some tell me I should have used 20% just to be on the safe side. I also waited ten minutes instead of thirty like some say. Can the leaves of VFT take 20% bleach for thirty minutes?

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

For those who have done this, I'd love to hear about your experiences. The very idea is nearly alien to me -- what does it involve, taking a bit of green growth and sterilizing it, then putting it in a petri dish?

Anyone have any pictures of this stuff in progress?

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is basically what it is except it is inside a baby food jar. I got four TC that look like they are going to grow. They have not gotten infected after five days. However, what I have notice is that the survivors are not really leaves. They are just the white part of the VFT leaves that I cut and placed inside the jars. Those with leaves did not survive without infestation.

I know it can be done with the leaves. I will try to do it with the leaves, but wash them in a 20% bleach solution this time and see what happens.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Curious as to how you handle the incessant florida heat??
    Thought heliamphoras were intolerant??? gary