Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Carnivorous Plant Newbie (Here Anyway)

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but not to CPs. I grew 2 VFT's, 2 sarracenias (flava and purperea), a butterwort (from Lowe's. I read in The Savage Garden that the kind it was isn't long lived), and 2 sundews (not all at once either) from 2006-08. I haven't grown them since. Now, I'm thinking of getting another VFT. I'm thinking of getting the cultivar B52 or a similar plant with large traps. Does anyone here grow it?

I got most of my plants from California Carnivores and the box stores (Wal-Mart and Lowe's). I have nothing but good to say about my experiences with CC! I e-mailed them to see if they're going to carry B52 and they replied saying yes but for a limited time and stock. I mostly grow outdoors now and have a few houseplants (10 hoyas, a snake plant, a white crown of thorns, a croton and a Thanksgiving cactus; soon I'll be adding epiphyllum oxypetalum to the mix!).

I do have one question. Does anyone in my zone (6) sucessfully keep CPs outdoors year round? I know some sarracenias and VFTs have been introduced to PA.

Thanks in advance.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (6)

• ca_leucophylla
    13 years ago

Hi Brad!

I mainly have Sarracenia, so I don't know who would carry B52. I love Sarracenia Northwest (cobraplant.com) but I don't think they carry the B52 variety. There is a recent thread on this forum that has a lot of different vendors listed so I would look at those places.
    I don't have any personal experience growing plants in zone 6 but from everything I have read and heard is that it is possible (and recommended) to grow temperate plants outdoors. You will just have to take a few extra steps in the winter (mulching, etc). Some of the other growers on here may have more experience and better advice.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi CA Leucophylla,

All I can say about my growing conditions are that the summers are warm here (it was up into the lower 100's today) and the winters are absolutely freezing! I brought my CP collection indoors for the winter when I had it, so that's why I was asking about growing them outside (all my houseplants take up the space now).

After two years, my plants either died or got damaged in a windstorm. My last VFT got blown away and I think the storm lead to their demise as they were out of their pots. They were in a little greenhouse that the wind blew out of the ground. I put them back in their pots and they were gone by late spring/early summer. My last CP was a sundew that I got from California Carnivores last May. I went away for almost a week and when I came home it had died. I guess it got too hot in the greenhouse (same as the aforementioned) and it baked.

Sorry to ramble but I thought I'd share my experience with CPs with you all.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• entomophage
    13 years ago

Hey Moonwolf!

I think you could keep VFTs outdoors in PA without too much trouble. You'll have a slightly shorter growing season than those of us further south, but I'd expect to see nice growth from late May-early September.

As far as the cold winters, growing your plants in a bog box in the ground will help insulate them from a hard freeze. I would recommend covering your plants with some insulation during the coldest months (light mulching/pine needles etc...). This should keep them from being killed by all but the deepest freeze. If an in-ground bog box isn't your cup of tea, placing the plants anywhere sheltered (under a porch, against the house etc...) will make a big difference in winter survival.

I know that Carnivorous Plant Nursery had B52s in stock this spring, www.carnivorousplantnursery.com. Their website doesn't update very regularly, it might be worth giving Michael a call, I bet he'll still have some.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Entomophage!

I was looking at CP Nursery's website earlier today and I saw they had B52 still in stock. I keep checking California Carnivores too to see if it's in stock, but not yet.

As for growing CPs outdoors, I would probably put them next to the house when they go dormant. I've seen people who get heavy snows (like us) have their plants in pots with solid ice and they always came back each year. I live in a valley where it can get very windy at times. I think I know the spot where I can set them for the winter.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• hunterkiller03
    13 years ago

California Carnivore is a trusted nursery & has provided more exotic plant when they have them available. You have to check your specials now & then to get lucky for the most exotic species. All my butterworts, including Pinguicula primuliflora (which I bought from Lowes) is long lived. But I donÂt have my book the Savage Garden, my copy was destroyed.

The problem is that, while they do have a huge collection of CP (something IÂve seen myself when I personally visited their nursery), they have a limited supply to sell to the public. It takes time for them to propagate enough numbers of their most exotic species to sell to the public. Personally seen where they propagate their plants they plan to sell. Last November they were selling tuberous sundew and they sold like hot bread. I tried to pick up some but I learned about them too late & they sold out fast!

You have better luck getting more exotic species if you visit their nursery personally; I was able to get my B52 VFT, Triffid, & Sarracenia alabamensis that way.

But one thing I discovered about the B52 is that it is slow growing plant. Reason why they may not offer that cultivar for sale often.

This is my B52, still a small plant but its getting their.
    {{gwi:552853}}

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a nice plant! I want this variety for the traps of course. Is there any plants with large traps that are a little faster growing than B52?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored