Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing CP's in Desert climate?

Posted by gomela AZ (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 14:07

Hi. I am new to carnivorous plants and would like to grow a few in pots in my home. I live near a lemon grove and we have alot of fruit flies that come in. I think a few CP's would really help. Does anyone know a good species that is grown in a warmer climate? I live in Phoenix. They would be inside and the temp in our house is usually about 75 year round. Thanks in advance.

Gomela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing CP's in Desert climate?

The short answer is yes, it can be done. There are other regular posters with far more information, and some, I believe that also live in desert climates, they can better advise you. Look up information on Drosera- the sundew, Pinguicula (sp?) Butterwort, Nepenthes- Tropical pitcher plant. All three are ridiculous fruit fly catching machines and can thrive indoors. Although, they tend to bring fruit fly-like fungus gnats with them, because they thrive in the moist potting medium, so they won't get rid of all of your bugs. But its fun.
Bob

o
RE: Growing CP's in Desert climate?

Although you live in the Desert SW, growing them inside at 75 F is the main thing to consider, as long as you growing them on a window sill, exposed to the air (open tray method). A lot of plants will do well at the window sill, with their pot sitting in plastic containers of an inch or so of distilled / RO / deionized water. For example, D. spatulata, D. aliciae, D. adelae, D. capensis, D. burmannii. Even though Mexican butterworts are supposed to have a cold and dey winter, they still do well at window sills. Many bladdrworts would love the conditions - U. livida, U. sandersonii, U. bisquamata. Check Photobucket link for pictures of these plants. I can also help ya out in procuring some beginner plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: CP pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here