Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarracenia name question

Posted by carnivoor (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 14:28

On some sites where they sell Sarracenia plants I came across things like Sarracenia x 'other name' hybrid type A or type B.What does type A and type B stand for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarracenia name question

I have no idea... normally when hybrids are designated they use F1 and F2 for various stages of hybridization. It sounds like someone that is just trying to show a difference between two plants that may or may not really be different. I would ask them directly what they mean by that designation and if it actually refers to the number of hybridizations that have been staged between several species or merely a made up designation for plants that simply look different despite similar parentage.

o

What it sounds like is that in the resultant offspring of the hybridization there were distinctly recognizable variants, probably in the leaf morphology, such as size or height or the color. In orchids hybrids are identified by varietal names such as "Pink Boy" with the name in quotations marks.

o

My guess is it could be hybrid or non hybrid or maybe color variation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here