Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotted VFT - Growing, but flower died

Posted by jay_why CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 30, 06 at 14:59

So my VFT that I got from h0me d3pot, after going through a winter dormancy in its little pot/dome, I acclimated to less humidity and repotted without a dome. (2:1 perlite:sphagnum peat moss mix)

My little plant had started to grow nicely, and even sprouted the flower `stalk` while in the dome. Like I expected, my plant was actually 3 (bulbs) now, but I repotted them all together in their new pot. I've been keeping water in the small dish under the pot (needs refilling daily) and started off misting the plant everyday, and now just do it occasionally.

It's been about 3 weeks, and the plant(s) are putting off new traps like crazy! I check in the morning and at night, and can always see definate growth. (I really need to get a timelapse video setup going.)

So - its doing well, BUT, the flower stalk that was small and just starting to open (showing small buds inside)has now gone brown up at the top, obviously dead.

I'm assuming the flower died due to the late repotting (weeks after the plant had come out of dormancy.) Like I said, the plant(s) are doing great so I'm not worried - but I wanted to give an update and see if anyone had feedback. Seen this before? Should I leave the green part of the flower stalk, which is about 5" tall, or should I trim it close to the base?

I'm also really curious about how much sun to give my plant. I've read give them full sun, but I'm a bit inland from the coast and we get some scorching hot sun when summer comes on full. The only plants that have survived well in the full sun where I'm at are cactus/succulents. I've got the plant under a umbrella so it gets slightly shaded sun - never full-on sunlight, but consistant through the day. I want nice red traps, but I'm afraid the sun gets to intense where I'm at.

Any input is appreciated!

- Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotted VFT - Growing, but flower died

ill find out soon if ive got the same problem...ive got 3 that i got form lowe's and i didnt aclimate them like i should of but there doing fine. i live in south western virginia so i get about the right ammount of sun. its 92 degrees here right now and has been near the for the last few days, ive just got them sitting out in the yard in a tubawere or what ever you call them with bout 3" of water in it and there doing fine, there nice and red and the only thing that could be wrong with them is some of the traps are catching bugs that are to big and gitting black spots in the traps

o

as for the sun, give it full morning sun and then perhaps partial shade the rest of the day. Maybe that would be good.

o

you need to slowly ajust it to full sun

o

I reckon I would probably trim that stalk to. If the flower has died anyway, it's serving no purpose. Cut it as close to the base as you can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Bogs (The Natural Alternative)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here