Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_why

Repotted VFT - Growing, but flower died

jay_why
17 years ago

So my VFT that I got from h0me d3pot, after going through a winter dormancy in its little pot/dome, I acclimated to less humidity and repotted without a dome. (2:1 perlite:sphagnum peat moss mix)

My little plant had started to grow nicely, and even sprouted the flower `stalk` while in the dome. Like I expected, my plant was actually 3 (bulbs) now, but I repotted them all together in their new pot. I've been keeping water in the small dish under the pot (needs refilling daily) and started off misting the plant everyday, and now just do it occasionally.

It's been about 3 weeks, and the plant(s) are putting off new traps like crazy! I check in the morning and at night, and can always see definate growth. (I really need to get a timelapse video setup going.)

So - its doing well, BUT, the flower stalk that was small and just starting to open (showing small buds inside)has now gone brown up at the top, obviously dead.

I'm assuming the flower died due to the late repotting (weeks after the plant had come out of dormancy.) Like I said, the plant(s) are doing great so I'm not worried - but I wanted to give an update and see if anyone had feedback. Seen this before? Should I leave the green part of the flower stalk, which is about 5" tall, or should I trim it close to the base?

I'm also really curious about how much sun to give my plant. I've read give them full sun, but I'm a bit inland from the coast and we get some scorching hot sun when summer comes on full. The only plants that have survived well in the full sun where I'm at are cactus/succulents. I've got the plant under a umbrella so it gets slightly shaded sun - never full-on sunlight, but consistant through the day. I want nice red traps, but I'm afraid the sun gets to intense where I'm at.

Any input is appreciated!

- Jay

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?