Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green stuff in my shpagnum top soil dressing????? wtf?

Posted by KittieKAT Massachusetts (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 16:06

Just noticed this today when inspecting my CP's to check how there doing and whose eating and whatnot.... it's like green mold? .looks like someone left a green marker on the top of the damp shpagnum moss as MY top dressing to my soil and it stained IT? That's the only way i can really explain it.
Any word on what i should do, is this normal? Should i remove the green spots? Should i replace the whole dressing ontop? I'm worried it's gonna harm my plant's so PLEASE let Me know if this is a problem or just something that happens and not to worry about it. Thanks

I circled one of the biggest problem areas in red*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green stuff in my shpagnum top soil dressing????? wtf?

That's algae. It's not life threatening. You can leave it, pluck it out, or re-pot.

o

Okay, thanks... i figured it's was something like that but when it comes to my babies I'm super CRAZY and just wanted to make sure ALL WAS Ay Okay!
I think we all doubt our intuition or knowledge in fear something might happen, but it's good to know when in doubt theirs someone on here to convince ME I'm doing fine!

o

Did you wash that LFS first? Cause it can contain all sorts of nasty stuff you don't want. Such as eggs, twigs, even parts of dead animals. It doesn't really help much with reducing the algae though that seems to happen regardless. Spray it with a weak fungicide if it bugs you but not sure if that will work.

o

Yes it was washed, rinsed and repeated several times.. i actually tried a few diff brands cause some i used looked gray and yucky..while others i used had to much sticks ands stuff in it.. itdoesn't bother ME looks wise just was making sure it doesn't hurt my plants so i wanted to double check on here. Thanks for the help and confirmation

o

I've had good luck with the Orchid Moss brand but I'm not a fan of spaghnum in general. I really only use it exclusively to fill the bottom of pots and for Nepenthes(after mixed with a fair amount of Orchid Bark mix and perlite).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here