Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead bugs and other debris

Posted by ltecato 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 16:43

First my vft has a digested fly carcass stuck in its largest trap, which has been open for a week or two. I tried to push it out of there with a thin stick, but the trap started to close, so I stopped. I'm thinking I'll try to was the ex-fly out with a spray of distilled water. Is there a better way to do it? Can I just go ahead and remove the body manually and not worry about the trap wearing out from closing?

Second, I've got a drosera that has caught quite a few gnats (hooray!) but also appears to have accumulated bits of soil and maybe just stuff like leaf fragments that fell out of the air on its gooey traps. What, if anything, should I do about this?

In the case of my pings, I just pour water over them and that seems to clear away all the detritus, but the drosera doesn't seem to want to let it go. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead bugs and other debris

My advice is to just leave them all alone. Traps only open and close about 3 or 4 times each then the trap dies. New traps will form. Let nature do what's best!

People tend to fuss over CPs way too much.

o

Or you can also buy a spray bottle and coax the carcasses / debis out with a stream of water. It's a good investment anyway, just in case you get into sundew seeds and trying to get them into a pot

o

Thansk for the feedback, guys. One of my sundews appears to be growing a flower spike now. It'd be great if it produced seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here